What other religions predicted a date for the end of the world?

by stapler99 17 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

IP_SEC that is a great list. Here is a quote that I loved, considering the WTS has indicated the Anabaptists may be part of the unbroken line of the F&D slave. AD 1526 Anabaptists in St. Gallen, Switzerland, excited by various leaders and events, began running through the streets and shouting that the Last Day would arrive in exactly one week. Many were baptized, stopped work, abandoned their homes and set off into the hills, singing and praying in expectant furvor. After a week had passed with no sign of their returning Lord, they returned to their homes. The last line of the document is very true, as many a JW is scared to leave because "what if it is true?" THERE WILL LIKELY BE MANY MORE TO COME! Problem is, they can be wrong a million times, it only takes 1 person to be right ;)

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Let's see, that site should be going down then within the next couple weeks right?

Actually he has been predicting this terrorist nuclear attack since april of this year. If you can nagivate his site long enough you will discover his turmoil with the JW's when he was one of them. Quite interesting actually. He tried to CHANGE the FDS to his way of thinking and of course was booted out. Now he has started his own endtimes cult predicting the UN complex in New York will be attacked by terrorist with a nuclear bomb. Unlike the JW's failed predictions he actually does admit to his own failures and predicts the END must come by the year 2008. If that's not painting yourself into a corner I don't know what is.

• Butters
    Butters

Sometimes I think about the difficult choice of what to eat for breakfast as the more complicated issues in life. This morning it was a toss up between an omlet or eggs benedict. For me, I am a firm believer that as intelligence increases, happiness decreases. Thankfully, I am really happy now.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Well, it is obviously rare for predictions of the end of the world to come after the predictors expected lifespan has passed. And when it comes to this rarity, for me, the Mayans take the first prize:

December 21, 2012: That is when the Mayan calendar ended, because that is when they believed the earth would be no more.

This is an ancient culture that all but disappeared completely centuries ago, and yet, they had predicted an end times date well beyond the end of their own civilization. Not saying that lends any credibility to their date, but they are, as far as I know, the longest range prognosticators of doom and gloom.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Don't forget William Miller who predicted the end of the world in 1844. From this was born Second Adventists. Charles Taze Russell owed some of his ideas to this group, but he developed his own dating game with the help of pyramidology,

• blondie
  • jgnat
    jgnat

I think the year 1,000 was a good contender. After all, this was shortly after the Black Death swept Europe. It was the closest people ever got to being wiped off the planet. One could suggest that we've been well on our way to paradise ever since. We discovered or rediscovered since 1,000 ... democracy, hygiene, rotating crops, electricity, antiboitics, the table of elements, vaccines, the internal combustion engine, DNA, silicon chips, and space travel.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

There have certainly been plenty of people who have predicted the end throughout history, so the jws aren't alone. The one thing, so far, they've all had in common of course, is that they've all been wrong.

I think the most irritating part of the jws failed predictions is the way they try to excuse themselves, and suppress the evidence, after they have failed. They seem able to induce collective amnesia in their followers as well, because when I started studying in 1981, no one could remember the 1975 prediction, apart from it being the ideas of a few jws who ran ahead of the society, yet research proves they preached it relentlessly in the late 60's and early 70's. Some of those who denied it must have been involved in the preaching as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit