What other religions predicted a date for the end of the world?

by stapler99 17 Replies latest jw friends

• stapler99
    stapler99

This is an argument that I have had with some jws, who claim that if Jehovah hadnt been behind the organisation then the organization would have petered out after doctrinal changes, failed predictions, etc. The idiotic example of a cult that did this was the Peoples Temple cult (well what do you explect if all the members commit suicide?). Also it is claimed that the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses still exist as a religion proves that they were never obsessed with dates for the end of the end of the world (1925, etc), because if they were then everyone would have left. As I understand about 75% left after 1925, does anyone have figures? Are there other religious organizations that have behaved like the WTS and not disappeared? Such examples might help someone to see that it would be possible for the WTS to have behaved as it has.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Here is a pretty nice list spanning several pages listing ppl and orgs with failed end of time predictions

http://www.armageddononline.org/failed_armageddon.php

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    AD 1284 Pope Innocent III predicted the end of the world in the year 1284, 666 years after the founding of Islam.

LOL how is that for an org that has staying power with failed end of time prophecie

• stapler99
    stapler99

Thanks the link, yeah I just read about that. I found it interesting that it was just the odd crank who made such predictions, another example in the article was the English clergy predicting 1666 for the end, and widespread predictions for 1000. I'll have to read up on Montanus, its quite relevant that his sect continued for centuries... I hope that the JWs dont last that long tho.

• zeroday
    zeroday

Here's a doosie. An exJW thinks he is Elijah. He has been predicting a terrorist nuclear attack on the UN for about six months now. Quite entertaining actually.

http://www.truebiblecode.com/

• Butters
    Butters

I always thought it was strange that they never bothered to listen to the annointed one on this matter. Matthew 24:36 and Acts 1:6,7 for instance. If the organization was truly a bible believing entity then it would have never been so brazen about trying to calculate the impossible.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Yes butters and

Matt 24:23 “Then if anyone says to YOU, ‘Look! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. 25 Look! I have forewarned YOU. 26 Therefore, if people say to YOU, ‘Look! He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out; ‘Look! He is in the inner chambers,’ do not believe it.

The JDubs are famous for saying Look! Here is the Christ. He's been here since 1914. Oh you cant see him. He's in the forest, um inner chambers (hidden since 1914)

Sorry for being ot

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The WTS has split into several groups over the years, and some of these still exist. Since both JWs and Bible Students are from the same stock that preached 1914, and they both still exist, the argumentation is totally irrelevant.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    If the organization was truly a bible believing entity then it would have never been so brazen about trying to calculate the impossible

Now there in lies the dilemma. If you claim the Watchtower is the sole means of communication between God and true christians today, then you have free reign to predict what ever you want.

• Butters
    Butters

Thanks for this zeroday. I just looked up that link you sent. Let's see, that site should be going down then within the next couple weeks right? October is half over, and no bomb yet. I wish I had a little book with all the dates that man has ever set for events to happen, that way, I could definitely narrow down and know when Jesus is not returning, or war is not going to start.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit