What do YOU say to people in hopeless situations?

by AlmostAtheist 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hi, Dave.........Happy Birthday~~~well, I usually tell people that I will pray for them or that I will send loving, healing energy to them........and explain to them that I can do a spiritual ceremony on their behalf.......I use sage and sweet grass and meditative techniques.........I truly believe that prayer is heard and that one can upbuild a friend with our loving thoughts and care............it's all about energy, to me.........thoughts and intentions have power for positive or negative.

Terri

Edited to add that of course I also DO whatever I can physically for them and if I have money, I will give it.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

jgnat's pastor was spot on in my experience.
    When dealing with 'hopelessness' you're not just coping with mild or reactive depression.
    You probably need the companionship or at least the quiet presence of someone with you 24/7.
    Don't offer too much good advice. Listen a lot. Be visible. Make coffee. Laugh at irony, hopelessness and depression can give you the right to laugh at things that others would find shocking.
    With men, be calm. With women, be touch-feely.
    Pete.

• JH
    JH

Witnesses who don't want to open their hearts and help out a poor soul or even a JW, will just say, "In the new system all will be OK".

I' ve seen this too often. All they could say was words. In some cases, they didn't even say anything.

Their theocratic school ministry formation didn't make them say anything comforting to the one in pain.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

When my mother asked me during the hieght of her congestive heart failure, "Why do I have to die?" I answered her directly and honestly, "Because your heart is tired and will not do what it needs to, but remember, every minute you spend with us is our privilige. I'll be here with you no matter what." then I held her. What else can you do? She died at peace because we were all there for her.

If someone is not dying, I think its the same thing, being honest is best. If depressed, tell the truth... it is not permanent. Things will change. It will take courage but it will get better and you'll be there with them through it.

Reassure that you'll be thereand then be there. Not like the witnoids lining up with a comfort brochure and a promise of better things later.

W.Once

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I would say my condolences to you.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

When someone tells me they need assistance I listen as I take them to the grocery store and let the fill a basket and I pick up the tab. Then give them some cash. I am not wealthy but if I can't help.......

I remember my father, while growing up, on many occasions helping jws at the hall or even people who came only once and ask for help watched him take the cash out of his pocket.

My father told me a poor man can be of little aid to those in need as they are almost in need themselves.

He has not attended in years but told me one of the jws came to him for assistance the other day, which he provided.

Helping one's fellow man is benificial for both of you.

Some may not share this point of view but my belief is that one can be used by the holy spirit through thes acts of charity and also carries a blessing for the bestower.

• Calliope
    Calliope

i'm not in a hopeless situation, am i?

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

Awwww dude, that really sucks..... You wanna Burn One?

• jgnat
    jgnat

No, you are not, Calliope. This comes from a fortysomething grandmama that pulled herselfs off the street and her adult son as well.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    When my mother asked me during the hieght of her congestive heart failure, "Why do I have to die?" I answered her directly and honestly, "Because your heart is tired and will not do what it needs to, but remember, every minute you spend with us is our privilige. I'll be here with you no matter what." then I held her. What else can you do? She died at peace because we were all there for her.

Very wise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit