Who's giving out candy this Halloween?

by Cognitive_Dissident 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

Yeah, so this year, for the first time EVER, EVER, EVER, my roommates and I are having a Halloween party, and there will be much candy given out to the small army of children on our block who will no doubt be trick or treating. I'm really looking forward to it. Has anyone ever thought of getting all costumed up on Halloween and then hitting all of the elder's houses? And by hitting I mean asking for candy, not anything vandalicious. Or perhaps instead of saying 'trick or treat' you could just show up at their doors dressed as Satan and say "I just wanted to stop by tonight and thank you for all the work you're doing. You really pick up the slack for me the rest of the year." Who else is going to revel in Halloween this year? CD

• bubble
    bubble

Halloween isn't as big a thing in the UK as it is in the US. But I will have plenty of treats for the kids that come knocking. I did that last year for the first time and it was a joy to see how much fun the kids were having.

• Beardo
    Beardo

I still can't work out why anybody JW or not would want to celebrate this event. Not everything labelled as 'fun' is necessarily 'fun' ...

Encouraging kids to go around the neighbourhood asking for sweets and wearing stoopid death costumes is retarded and holds no real meaning. It is not as if most people actually understand the origin of this event and if anything, the modern day incarnation is nothing but a means to an end for marketing people.

I sometimes think ex-JWs jump head first back into Christmas & Halloween as way of flicking a V sign at the WatchTower Society. Kind of like the way I said f ** k you and smoked a cigar a few years ago, just to break the mental chains, but my rebellion had nothing to do with truth, but more to do with a cathartic exercise of taking back control.

• bubble
    bubble

Lighten up Beardo!

• Beardo
    Beardo
    Lighten up Beardo!

Please don't patronize me - I believe what I believe. Perhaps you need to take somethings a little more seriously yourself? There are a selection of videos available online through Google videos called " The Century of the Self " - take a look, you may then understand how you are being treated a little bit more clearly.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Oh hell yeah...not only will I be handing out candy to the little candy gobbins that come to my door, but I will be dressed up too.

lisa

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I can't wait!! witch

• blondie
    blondie

Halloween is the 3rd largest holiday in regards to candy in the US...do you see the profit motive here? More and more adults are having parties. I was surprised that while they don't have Christmas parties on the work site, they do have a large Halloween party. I guess Halloween is not considered a religious holiday by the admin. One lady is taking the day off...I found out she is "born again" and feels it is a pagan holiday and wants to miss the festivities.

Most of the people I know hand out candy and take their kids in costume around to the neighbors. A few decorate with real cut out pumpkins and candles.

Blondie

• Beardo
    Beardo
    Halloween is the 3rd largest holiday in regards to candy in the US...do you see the profit motive here?

Exactly. But people see what they want to see. A tragic case of mass manipulation and brain washing - by DESIGN.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Beardo said:

"Exactly. But people see what they want to see. A tragic case of mass manipulation and brain washing - by DESIGN."

MAYBE the illuminate are behind it!!

I want full scale investigation.

Cog, what are you giving out? What will I get if I come by?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit