How do you combat laziness?

by AlmostAtheist 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

I wish I knew what to tell you to get you riled up but I don't because I cannot relate to your laziness. I work full time, have a part time job and own my own business. Hey, maybe you're so lazy because I'm so motivated. It's like a yin/yang thang.

Good luck in getting off yo ass!

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Oddly enough, I have found that I learned a great deal about combatting laziness by simply observing Miss Moggy, my cat.

The best way to comat inertia is to sleep on it !

Cheers

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Try reading "In Praise of Idleness" by Bertrand Russell - google it now and enjoy it. The term 'lazy' is largely used today as a pejorative to make people feel guilty for not matching Society's largely harsh and unhealthy objectives for the masses, ie, keep people enslaved to working long hours in largely meaningless occupations and feeling guilty and ashamed for not doing something 'productive'. Ancient slavery has been replaced by wage slavery, often minimum wage that renders people barely incapable of rising above the poverty line. The truth is that humans are naturally meant to be somewhat idle, like the animals. There is absolutely no economic reason why any human being should have to work more than about 20 hours a week - many researchers predicted that by now this would have occurred, but alas, we are still languishing in out of date thinking about what makes life important (mortgages, big houses, big cars, latest digital technology, latest big brand fashion accessories - ALL BOLLOX). Life today is unnaturally pressured, complex, fast, with too many expectations heaped on people's shoulders. Stop feeling guilty about being lazy but constructively enjoy it.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I make lists.................things I need to do today, things to do tomorrow, next week, this year, etc.

I just love crossing things off the list as I get them done.

Some might call it goal setting, but it works for me.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Lack of will to do that which benefits me might be a symptom. It's one classic symptom of active addiction. My dad was a religion addict and he wouldn't do the begging jobs like painting his garage or mowing the lawn when it was a foot high. Instead he sought his drug . . . religious activity.

Difficulty concentrating and not paying bills when I have the money is a classic symptom of depression. I've known people who fought an underlying depression their whole lives.

I often have to size my tasks, not to my abilities, but to my abilities today. I can't rake the whole yard today, but I can rake 9 square feet, so I get up and go rake the 9 sq feet and next thing I know, I've raked a LOT more then 9 sq feet.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Dave,

I went through a spell like that (ok, 10 years) because I overbooked myself on work, chores, child rearing and had very little time to myself. Once I started letting some of the nonessentials go, spent time doing things I enjoyed, I had more energy and motivation to conquer the essentials.

I also reward myself if I have something particularly odious to do.

I have a problem moving out of my comfort zone on some things and I've started reading a book to help.

"The Comfort Trap or What if You're Riding a dead horse" By Judith Sills

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

DonĀ“t fight join us .....

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I started timing how long it took to do certain things.......like making the bed......

Five ....ten minutes........thats not too bad.

Dishes ........twenty minutes.......that did not take long.

picking up clutter..........2 days.......just kidding..........

I felt accomplishment. I just hate doing mundane things over and over and over and over again.

As I did more and more tasks........I got better at them and faster and I actually would have more enjoyable time as I did not feel like I was avoiding getting things done.

I go through lazy spells.....when I am depressed, tired or I just don't care at the time. And I don't kick myself too badly as I know it will pass.

purps

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Hi Dave,

I'm hardly a paragon of motivation, but I've found that my iPod really helps me get stuff done. Whenever I have a physical task to do and I can't get myself going, I put on my iPod and it's like the half-step I need to get me to start the actual task. Yardwork, laundry, dishes, toilet scrubbing, who needs 'em but I can almost tolerate those chores when I'm jamming to some music I like.

Now I know you're not the biggest music guy (32 kbps? Sounds good to me!), so I don't know if this would work for you.

Now, mental stuff is a different story. For example, I absolutely cannot get myself to do any research on investing. I can't do it!! It seems like there's so damn much to know, where the hell do you start? I hate going to the library and getting books like "Investing for Dumbshits" when I know good and well it's just going to sit at my house unread, and I'll get nothing out of it except for the annoyances of feeling guilty because it's sitting there looking at me while I'm watching TV and then paying an overdue fine when I finally surrender to the fact that I'm not going to read it and return it to the library.

yaddayadda, nice post

• becca1
    becca1

Go to Humanmetrics.com and take their test. I bet you are an ISTP.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit