How do you combat laziness?

by AlmostAtheist 44 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

jgnat, thanks for posting the site for writers. That's where my laziness is at lately. I just can't seem to push myself to complete simple tasks (tasks that would benefit me, too) in that regard.

• parakeet
    parakeet

AlmostAtheist, if you wish you could do more but lack the motivation and energy, you may be mildly depressed and/or have a physical problem that lowers your energy level. Either way, I would recommend a visit to your doctor to rule out these problems. If it turns out you have a medical problem, proper treatment should boost your energy.

Second, if your diet is less than optimum, try to eat better quality food. A poor diet will drain your energy over time. Supermarket salads, low-fat deli sandwiches, and fruit smoothies are quick to make or buy. If you're not already doing so, take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement daily.

Meanwhile, I suggest the "Swiss-cheese method" to tackle projects that you've been putting off. Like a mouse attacking a big block of cheese, take a nibble here and there instead of trying to get everything done at once. It's easier to accomplish one small task at a time. Each day, take another nibble. It may take a while, but before too long, the project is finished.

BTW, I just read somewhere that the constant niggling worry over tasks that are constantly put off is more detrimental to your health than the stress of a busy schedule.

Good luck.

parakeet, of the be-sure-to-eat-your-vegetables class

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am now convinced that writers are some of the bravest people in the world, because they brave their soul to strangers. The best book on the subject, I highly recommend lonelysheep get it, is "The Courage to Write" by Ralph Keyes. By page ten, I had broken out in a cold sweat. I couldn't sleep that night. I finished the book, thank God, and developed a permanent and healthy respect for writers.

http://www.ralphkeyes.com/pages/books_old/courage/index.htm

• M.J.
    M.J.

Enrollment in a high control group that puts things in the context of "get off your a$$ or be annihilated" tends to work pretty well.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

With a lightsaber.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

I agree with the earlier posters who mention depression as a factor in what we consider laziness. My own laziness & lack of motivation have always been challenges, but when I am depressed, even simple activities such as doing the dishes, or dragging myself to the supermarket for the next morning's milk & cereal, seem insurmountable..

This is the classic scenario of a depressed ex-JW with Asperger's: Sitting on the floor for hours scrutinizing books such as the I Ching or Bhagavad-Gita...something ice-cold & alcoholic always within reach ...while the unwashed laundry, empty beer bottles, & month-old newspapers are piling up all over the place..

That scenario is slowly changing, but I still have a ways to go..

DR

• Undecided
    Undecided

I just sit in my recliner and hope it goes away.

Ken P.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I cant be arsed to combat laziness.

• M.J.
    M.J.

A fierce wife goes a long way...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

There is only one way to combat laziness!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit