how many atheist and agnostics on this site

by dannygwalsh 53 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Any Buddhists here truely truely believe in the whole kit n kaboodle of Buddhist teachings? Like, Maras, hell-beings, hungry ghosts, reincarnation, knowledge of past lives, existing enlightened beings etc ...?

hi kudra,

what i like about buddhism, is that addherence to specific doctrine is not a must to be on the path to enlightenment. the way of the buddha is but one path. the path for others is unique to the person. i take what i like from buddhism, what i have reason to believe is consciousness expanding, and infuse them into my path. as far as ways of being go, i think buddhism is highly evolved. but the path is natural, as natural is all that exists. i don't see the point of stagnantly following a religious practice without evolving on it, as to not evolve is to die, mentally. the path only goes forward, right?

the book Siddartha by Herman Hesse illustrates this so well in my opinion.

tetra

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Ignorance may be bliss but once the house of cards has come tumbling down self deception is destruction. Chock up another atheist vote.

• chiddy
    chiddy

Put me down for agnostic please, the bible a joke! god? please !

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Athiest, and yes, I'm much happier now.

It's good to see you again, Tetra.

• Kaput
    Kaput

Agnostic...for now.

Where ya been, T.S.?

• astro
    astro

well said GaryB!!

I am an atheist and a generally happy person.

It has opened my mind and I have learned so much,thanks to being able to critically think again.

It has freed me from stupid superstition,allowed me to view myself and the world around me in a rational sane manner.

It helped me learn what real personal responsibility is as well as global responsibility.Once an individual can get rid of the limiting ignorance that is entailed by 'believing' a sense of real freedom is achieved.

I could never put myself in the stopthink mental mode that any religion requires again.

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

One more, happy atheist.

pseudo

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I am an Organizational Agnostic, I believe in God but not the necessity or a specific religious group (see http://jwfacts.com/index_files/organization.htm for some reasons)

No one can agree on who God is or what the after life is, not even amonst Christianity, so rather than blindly accept any one belief I am happy to admit to not knowing.

The result has been a huge relief, and no change in my happiness. As a JW I was constantly wracked by guilt and fear. Now I am at peace about my life and the afterlife. No just God could be willing to murder or torture billions of people when he has never given clear proof as to how he needs to be worshipped as specified by some religious institution.

• vomit
    vomit

I am neither. I am a nihilist. I belive there is no greater cause/good/meaning there just is. Pretty much all philosophical debate looking for meaning is ultimately pointless.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I'm an atheist and I'm much happier being atheist than believing in something that in all probability doesn't exist.

Hey to Tetrapod.Sapien, how are old chap? I would heartily recommend 'Demian' by Hesse as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit