Guns

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Curious: Does anyone carry a gun for protection? From an EX JW standpoint, how easily did your feelings change toward guns and/or the possibility of killing someone in self-defense?

My husband and I both carry. We always had a gun while in the Hohos but never considered using it for protection, bloodguilt and all. . . But now we take classes occasionally, practice safe handling and are licensed to carry concealed.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

I always believed guns were wrong based on the Society.

Then I considered on my own that the Bible allows one to defend oneself!

That being said, I choose a baseball bat under my bed.

P.S. The Society says now that you can carry a gun if your job requires it!

• Forscher
    Forscher

No, I don't carry though I've considered getting a liscense.

I was raised by a lifetime member of the NRA and have enjoyed shooting immensely. Even as a dub I had several rifles for most of my time in. A few years before I faded, the local elders pressured me to get rid of my rifles and I did. Recently, though, my wife and son gifted me with a Mosin-Nagant M1944 rifle, the last model of that rifle produced for the Soviet Army. I took it out last week and had a ball!

I've always considered self-defense one of the God-given rights mentioned by the founding fathers in the Declaration Of Independance which nobody, not even the government, can legitimately deny us. Pre-dub I practiced several martial arts and anybody who knew me was aware I'd defend myself by whatever means available if, or when, I had to. During my time as a dub, I didn't actively practice, but some things never leave one as several folks through the years, including a ministerial servant, found out a time or two when they thought they'd try me out. The last one to try was a newer brother, who held a black-belt in Tae Kwon Do, who decided to suprise me at a party when somebody told him I'd been into the martial arts. He got behind me in a crowed situation and put a choke-hold on me... only to discover I had him by the balls. Needless to say that choke-hold came off mighty fast!

I don't own a pistol at the moment since I am much more into rifles. But if I do buy a pistol, I'll probably get a permit to carry as well. I know I'd feel bad if I had to shoot somebody, but if it came down to him or me I'd shoot and let the cards fall where they may. My Dad always taguht me never to make a threat one isn't fully prepared to carry out. So that means that if I ever point a loaded gun at somebody they'd be foolish to think it is a bluff. In a perfect world we would never have to worry about that, but this isn't a perfect world.

Forscher

• Outlawed
  • Badger
    Badger

I'm originally from Oklahoma. Even the hippies have guns.

• skyking
    skyking

I have a gun under my bed for protection for that day, you know, that day that I might need it. Well that night happened, my wife woke Me up late one nigt and said, someone is tyring to break in. So off I go sneaking out the back door, there they were bold as day. I yelled, get the HELL OUT OF HERE. the would be thieves left running. I went back into the house and there in her bath robe was my wife, she had a big smirk on my face, she said, boy you are smart, going outside and chasing them off when you have a gun under the bed. What the heck were you thinking about. My wife loves to tell people about this when ever she can.

The night told me something about myself, I am pretty damn stupid at times.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I don't have a gun because by law, we can't carry a concealed weapon in New Jersey. So I figured there's no point since I would keep it on me at all times and use it if necessary.

If I really wanted one, there are easy ways of getting something, though.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I am licensed to carry a concealed hand gun. I carry a Smith & Wesson CS40 on a regular basis.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

I have had a CCW and carried since 1996. (Butt down sholder holster.) It has always been a full sized .45, my favorite now being a Springfield Mil-Spec.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I've made my views on this subject pretty well known in the past, I'm not going to go through the whole debate again. I just wanted to place a comment in here for the sake of balance and to let any lurkers know that we aren't ALL so tolerant of guns.

I believe American gun laws are moronic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit