Guns

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I am waiting for my licence to come through so I can get my first pistol - a Browning Buckmark, for target shooting. In Western Australia it is illegal to carry a pistol unless going to or from a club shoot and you can only get a pistol licence to use at a club unless you are a security guard.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Live a good(read: polite) life and you shouldn't need a gun. I've been here for 33 years so far and have never encountered a situation that required a gun.

In my entire life, I was only put into a life/death situation once. And it wasn't from my doing. My coworker was a member of the Crips and we(HE) went up against two Bloods one day - I didn't have much of a choice but to help him. A small, quick brawl and one guy getting stabbed in the leg later, made me think about getting a gun. To this day, I still don't own a gun. I figure we all will die one day. If it's now or later, what's the difference?

Once you come to the realization that you will die, I see no reason to further the objective - for you or another person.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Once you come to the realization that you will die, I see no reason to further the objective - for you or another person.

Again, to each his own. However, I would have a very hard time living with myself if I could have prevented my wife or child from being killed, and not had the tools to do it. As I have said before, I wonder how many of the people that were cowering under tables at the Luby's were praying that they had a gun to at least TRY to save their lives, or the lives of their loved ones. You know, harsh language only goes so far.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

At one time I was a sheriffs deputy.

From that time on I often have a concealed gun on my person.

Usually a 25 caliber Baretta 9 shot, pocket pistol semi automatic. If I feel there may be a touchy incident I carry a 38 caliber revolver.

Why a revolver over a semi automatic? They are simple. If you do not carry and train "constantly" you need simple for a larger gun.

Unless an incident is so threatening that I fear for my life or those around me I will not even pull the gun.

If it is so threatening an incident that I know without a doubt that I or some one is going to die, I must fire my weapon, I will shoot to kill.

Knowing full well that the shit will hit the fan and I may be arrested and tried and even sent to prison if there are any mistakes on my part.

This gun thing is very dangerous and at the least costly, time consuming, and worst of all, dealing with the stress of killing another human. This will stay with you for ever. Don't take concealed weapon permits or carrying a gun lightly.

Outoftheorg

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I own guns. Grew up carrying and using them. They are an extremely useful tool in the rural areas I have lived in.

But as Jourles said, living the right kind of life, it would be a rare, rare thing to ever have to use one against another person.

I have an acquantaince who teaches at a college in my state. He regularly asks his classes, "How often do you think the average police officer draws and uses a gun in the line of duty?" "Once a week or once a month" are typical answers, and the more thoughtful students might say "once or twice a year."

This professor says the reaction is disbelief and sometimes even anger when he tells them that the average is once every 18 years.

Now, cops face a lot more dangerous situations than most of us ever have to, and yet most of them, if they're smart, will never be called on to use a weapon in their entire career. With that thought in mind, I try to arm and protect myself with the most dangerous, useful weapon at our disposal - an aware mind.

S4 (If I get shot anytime in the near future, please disregard the above advice and start packin', and I don't mean your suitcase!)

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

And to answer any questions, no it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to shoot someone messing with me if pushed to do so. I have done it many times in the past and hopefully won't have to in the future, but mess with me and mine to a point and all holds are off, I will shoot and I won't shoot to wound. I will make the intended target a no matter permanently.

What.Your saying youve shot loads of People?Yee-haw!dear God

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Carry daily.

Use sparingly.

Proper training and use of a firearm has already saved my life once. If one of you British guys wants to stay within an arms reach, you are more than welcome to. Otherwise, I'm gonna hold on to my firearms.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

If I didnt have my guns the king of england could come over here and walk alllll over us. Would you like that? WOULD YOU?!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

As was mentioned gun laws in the US vary form State to State. Up here in the Great North Woods we are allowed to carry a concealed weapon (handgun) without a permit or license. The only places they're banned is schools, & Federal Bldgs. But you cannot carry a loaded rifle in your automobile. Doesn't make much sense but that's the law. There's almost no gun problem here. Even though you can carry a firearm I never see anyone donning one on their belt.

I have a .38 snubnose (for intruders) & a .22 Ruger rifle

The slant of dubology will never matter to me when it comes to guns, ever again.

Dismembered

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Doesn't matter to me one way or another. I've been around guns for most of my life - however - I've also felt more threatened in some situations by just knowing some people have those guns in their house during volatile moments. Some interesting figures - men commit more violent crimes than women and use guns in those crimes more frequently and my understanding is that women are more likely to be assaulted or murdered by someone they know rather than by a stranger. swife

Relationship of
    victim to offender
    | Total | Gun | Knife | Blunt object | Force | Other weapon

Husband | 100% | 70% | 26% | 2% | 1% | 2%
    Ex-husband | 100% | 87% | 9% | 1% | 0% | 2%
    Wife | 100% | 68% | 14% | 5% | 9% | 4%
    Ex-wife | 100% | 78% | 12% | 2% | 6% | 2%
    Boyfriend | 100% | 46% | 45% | 3% | 3% | 3%
    Girlfriend | 100% | 57% | 19% | 5% | 14% | 5%

Source: FBI, Supplementary Homicide Reports, 1976-2002.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit