Clergy and Dog Collars

by brutusmaximus 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

I was wondering if anyone knew why the clergy wore dog collars?

It bugs me when I see them walking around the shops with it on as in a look at me kind of way surely this is not a bible thing, the same goes for bishops etc and all the garb that they wear is this right

Regards

BM

• Dansk
    Dansk

The controversial collar originated as a Mandarin collar on the black cassock worn by Catholic priests after the Rennaissance. The priests found their black collars becoming soiled, and covered them with a simple, folded band of linen which could then be removed and laundered. By the time they adopted the practice, everyone else had opted for long, frilly linens and lace at the throat. Thus was born the white "dog collar", and hence the term "man of the cloth".

The outer cassocks which were adopted later had a larger Mandarin collar with an opening at the front- this fit nicely over the linen-banded collar. It created the classic collar we know today: that rigid black circlet with a small square of white at the front. Today, cleverly and comfortably designed clergy shirts are available in a rainbow of colors and styles.

http://www.hackwriters.com/dogcollar.htm

Ian

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

'Cos they're Gods bitches!

• VM44
    VM44

Rutherford would find the comparison of clerical collars with dog collars appropriate. --VM44

"To followers of Rutherford the abbreviation “D.D.” or “d.d.” meant dumb dog but was also a pun on “Doctor of Divinity”. The pun was a Rutherford joke for 25 years:"

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/index.php/dates/boastful-lies/

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    nicolaouRe: Clergy and Dog Collars
    'Cos they're Gods bitches!

I actually busted out loud, laughing. I am glad I wasn't at work reading this.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Years ago when I visited Amish country somebody gave an explanation why the Amish dress the way they do and why the men have beards, etc. The explanations were given that the Amish men have beards because the military who oppressed them in Germany a couple of centuries ago were clean shaven so the Amish wore beards so they would not resemble them. Also, the women used straight pins on their clothing (which I thought was dangerous - in case you got stuck). Again, it was mentioned that they were opposed to buttons because their oppressors way back when had buttons on their uniforms so they wanted no reminder. (At the time I was an active JW and I thought how pathetic it all sounded).

The point of all this is that many religions of today have adopted as a "uniform", "vestments" or "outfit" either based on their heyday (Catholicism - Middle ages) or in the case of the Amish - trying to be opposite of the world or the military.

The problem arises when the religions try to give this a holy aspect or demand that their followers look a certain way.

Damned if they don't all follow the same pattern!!! I am sure in time the JWs would adopt a "look" of some sort that they would make mandatory.

LHG

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Damned if they don't all follow the same pattern!!! I am sure in time the JWs would adopt a "look" of some sort that they would make mandatory.

How about the look JW's tried to have in the U.S.? No beards, and a white shirt only. Well, they have abandoned the white shirt policy but they still insist brothers always wear a jacket and tie. There's your dog collar.

As soon as I put in my elder resignation, I stopped wearing the jacket. I still wear a tie, don't want to alarm anyone.

• VM44
    VM44

I suppose the Amish also don't use electricity because their oppressors used electricity and they don't want to be reminded of them? --VM44

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Longhair -

Actually, a lot of the puritan ideas on buttons and shape of toilet seat are to do with primitive magical beliefs, which continued even after their significance was forgotten.

Same in medicine - during the great yellow fever plague in New Orleans in the 1830s (?) cannon were fired from rooftops thinking this would disperse the miasma spreading the disease: actually it was a hang over from the days when it was thought that loud noises would scare away the demons making people sick.

Buttons are forbidden, because of what might come to mind when pushing a hard thing into a hole. I am mystified on why round toilet seats are forbidden, but the law against it is still on the statute books in Mass.

See J G Frazer "The Golden Bough".

HB

• VM44
    VM44

Buttons are round, and the Amish do not use them.

Do the Amish use "toggles" (sort of a rectangular button) on their clothing?

The Amish traditions do not appear to be well founded on sound concepts.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit