My Mini Van was stolen last night!! (long)

by ButtLight 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Warlock
    Warlock

When my kid was going to school, I found out that a great many of teachers and adminstrators are just a bunch of assholes. Sue 'em until the school has to shut down.

Warlock

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I wouldn't ever let your son use the van again, parking it in a parking spot marked for "Staff" for one and leaving the keys in it for another. If he had parked it in the student lot and locked the doors, taken the keys none of this would have happened.

Put the blame where blame belongs with your son for being irresponsible first

Well, we did blame him, we told him strait out that it wouldnt happen if he didnt leave the key in the vehical. But that staff member had to search though that van to find the key. There is no way he could have known Chris kept it hidden in the center console!

Also, Chris walked out this morning into the area he had the van parked, he told me that there is NO signs saying staff parking.

Not that I am defending my son on this, but we live in a very small town. We never lock our car doors. Should we? Probably, especially now!

• happehanna
    happehanna

I probably would be pleased the van wasn't stolen for good

ask my son not to leave keys in car and park in proper area

But here in the UK we do things different we tend not to sue

but even if we did .....'is it worth the hassle'?

• greendawn
    greendawn

"What's the difference if they move it 100 feet or 100 miles? The bottom line is that they had no right to enter the vehicle, or move it." It's a technicality sometimes the police lift illegally parked cars and move them away and the owners must pay to get them back. Theft involves an act that actually deprives a legal owner from his/her property.

• daystar
    daystar
    Theft involves an act that actually deprives a legal owner from his/her property.

I don't know about where you're from, but over here, it's still theft even if someone gives it back. Perhaps we can call it "illegal borrowing"?

sometimes the police lift illegally parked cars and move them away and the owners must pay to get them back.

Yes, and sometimes police run red lights when they're in a chase or driving to a crime scene. That doesn't mean the general populace can feel free to do the same.

• Dansk
    Dansk

ButtLight,

I'm wondering if, on this occasion, your son may have forgotten to hide the key! For all the world he may swear blind that he did hide it, but we've all done the opposite to what we've thought we've done. You see, it's more likely that a teacher came along, saw the keys in the ignition and then decided to move it. Generally, unless one is an experienced car thief, it is unlikely one would search around for the keys because one would think the owner took the keys with him.

This doesn't excuse the vehicle being entered and moved, however, but in a court I think it could be a 50-50 blame and serve nothing. Personally, in spite of the inconvenience and worry, I'd put it down to experience, bite my lip and just get on with life.

Ian

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

To me, it sounds like who ever moved it knew the owner of the vehicle - or at least the son of the owner - and wanted to pull a prank on him, by moving the van.

I would - cautiously - and documenting every step of the way - sue the bastards.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Dansk
    Dansk

LOL, have you noticed North Americans (apart from Bikerchic) seem to have a different opinion on this to us Brits?

Ian

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

The teacher had no right to move the vehicle. He or she is not respsonsible for the enforcement of parkilng lot laws and regulations.

I'm not saying you should sue, but I would definitely file a report. Whoever this teacher is, if they are this mischevious, might try to screw Chris over if he takes one of their courses. Put everything you can on record, just to protect yourself.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Hire a lawyer... ASK for the ticket... (private property so one won't likely be issued) and hold your ground.

By the way, even if your kid is bi-polar or whatever he still needs a good ass chewing for this. His inattention to detail started this. The response from your local PD and school staff is an issue in itself.

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit