My Mini Van was stolen last night!! (long)

by ButtLight 65 Replies latest jw friends

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

My son takes my van to school everyday. So yesterday, after school, he decides to leave the van there, ride with his buddy to work, and pick it up later! He had it parked behind the school.

He comes home about 8:00 pm wild! Says "did someone call about towing the van?" I said no. He goes to the police station to see if it was. NO, they said. "Well then someone stole it from the school parking lot!" my son said to the officer. So he came back while we waited for the police to come here and make a report!

Ok, granted, my son left the key in the van! He always does, but he hides it in the center console. (dumb) So the cop comes, takes the report, and leaves. About an hour later, the cop calls and says he found it. It was still in the back of the school, but someone moved it down inside a gully ramp leading into the school, where it was hard to see. So, I asked the cop if they have camaras in the parking lots of the school, he said yes! I said "can we find out who did it?" He said yes, if I wanted to pursue it.

Well, the cop waited at the school for my son to be dropped off there, so he could release the van to him. My son said he wanted to pursue it, and find out who did it! This is where it gets good!

My son is a bi-polar manic depressive. And sadly enough has been in alot of trouble with the law in the past. He has been good for quite some time now though. This cop, knows Chris, and doesnt like him. So the cop tells him, "I dont think we are going to pursue this, if everyone pursued the things youve done in the past, you would be sitting in jail right now!!!! What???

So, today my son goes to school early, to talk to the Principal about it, and told him he wanted to view the tapes and wants to know who is messing with my vehical. The Principal said "there is no need, we know who it is!" Chris is like well who is it? "You were parked in one of the staff members parking spots, and they moved it!" Chris asked him what right they had to get into his vehical and move it to a spot where he wouldnt find it! Here is his answer. "Well, I tell ya what, if you pursue this, we will give you a ticket!"

Now I am pissed. This is grand theft here in this little town! If one of the students had done that, it would be taken care of immediately!!!! The correct way for them to have handled this would be 1: give him a 10 dollar parking ticket, or 2: have it towed!

Well, now I have a little work to do, and Im not sure what the right way to deal with this is. First off, Im going to go down to the police station, and get a copy of the report, incase I want to do something. Later, I am going to go take pictures of where my van was parked, to see if it states that its staff parking only! Then a pic of where the "staff" memeber "hid" my van!

I can just see this "staff" member on tape, laughing as he gets out of my vehical, knowing Chris wouldnt be able to find it! On top of it all, this all took place AFTER school was let out! I had to worry for hours last night that I was never going to see my van again, or worse than that, they took it for a joy ride and totaled it or killed someone with it!

So what do you think, pursue this idiot, or let it drop?

• daystar
    daystar

Get a lawyer. Schools faculty get away with crap all too often, IMO.

• JH
    JH

No one has the right to enter your van, and even less drive it away.

What would have happened if the one who moved it would have hit someone or damaged another vehicle backing up.

Tell the cops this: "How would you like if I would move your cop car a few blocks away, while you're stuffing yourself at Dunkin Donuts?

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

Just because your son has gotten himself into trouble in the past, I cannot possibly see how that can justify the school faculty treating him, or you like this.

I would pursue it-no questions asked. How DARE they think they can get away with that??????????????

It blows my mind.

LIG

• greendawn
    greendawn

But can you say they stole the van if they just moved it? True they gave you a lot of heartache before you realised what really happened but they didn't steal it.

• JH
    JH

They stole it alright...

They stole it from her sons view and he needed it.

What's the difference if they move it 100 feet or 100 miles? The bottom line is that they had no right to enter the vehicle, or move it.

When you're looking for your car, what's the difference if a person illegally moves it 100 feet or 100 miles.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

So what do you think, pursue this idiot, or let it drop?

I wouldn't ever let your son use the van again, parking it in a parking spot marked for "Staff" for one and leaving the keys in it for another. If he had parked it in the student lot and locked the doors, taken the keys none of this would have happened.

Put the blame where blame belongs with your son for being irresponsible first then get a lawyer and see what legal actions you can take against the school and the police department as they definitely were in the wrong too.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Well, what gets me about this whole deal is this. Chris said the van was still there between 2:30 and 3:00 pm. School lets out at 3! So if he was parked in a staff members spot, why would the idiot wait till school is out, and then go move it? At 3 pm, those kids cram out of there. So your telling me there wasnt any other spot for this jerk to park?

Why? I bet they were all going to go sit in the principals office with popcorn and the movie tape, and get a good laugh as Chris tried to find my van!!!!!

I wonder if they are getting a good laugh seeing the cops flashing lights, making a report in the parking lot now!

• JH
    JH

It's true that he shouldn't have parked there nor left the keys in the van. I agree

But does this justify anyone moving around a car because they see the keys in the ignition or on the seat?

The proceedure is clear:

A) Call the cops and give a parking ticket

B) Call a towing and move the vehicle

• ballistic
    ballistic

I have had people try to move my motorbike in the past. First people don't realise how heavy motorbikes are and you can easily drop it.. Secondly I had a disk lock on at the time which is supposed to stop the wheel turning so by pushing the bike, the disk lock turned and smashed all the brake and speedo cables on the front fork!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit