Let's just get something straight about 1975.

by WTFBBQPWNT 170 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Hi all...

Just came across this audio talk at (Freeminds.org/armageddon.htm) by Franz, saying: "Is it likely that the destruction of the whole wicked system of things will take place at the hands of Jehovah God, the Great Executioner... a lot will have to happen (for it) to be accomplished by Sept. 5 (1975) at sundown."

"How far along in this seventh creative day are we? ... It is very reasonable and scriptural to expect that the final seventh 1000-year day of God's Sabbath day would be the period in which Jesus Christ would reign... Will Sept. 5th at sundown mark the beginning of ... the thousand-year reign of Jesus Christ?" -Fred Franz, 4th Watchtower president

• Lady Liberty
  • Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

October 8, 1968 Awake!

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah, 1971, pg. 216:

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Watchtower, 10/15/1969, pg 622, 623:

• Rabbit
    Rabbit
    And how is this proof that the wts actually was the one who said this. Where is the written proof? Once again we are going by what someone said or what the PO's said. That's the whole point. That's what current beleivers would tell you, you were following what someone said not wha was written down by the wts. Once again just because someone is up in the front preaching doesn't mean a thing, I was there and I made much of the stuff I said from the platform. It wasn't really what the wts had outlined me to say. So its not really proof.

R6Lazer...I am SO sorry that that is all you got from my post ! You missed the fact I was not trying to give "written proof", I was giving you my experience of what the mental state of JW's, including myself, was at that time. You obviously miss the psychological aspect of a cult's power of suggestion, too.

Have you never heard of Jim Jones ? Maybe his town...Jonestown ? Please go read all about it. Read HOW hype, charisma, mind-control, isolation and a peculiar repetition of a certain simple 'test of faith' helped them reach a state of mind -- where they no longer questioned their leaders.

Hint: Kool-Aid represents ----> Faith.

Now if you want the words & facts...AlanF just handed them to you on a silver platter !

If anything this is proof that most were following what people said, did the wts encourage it?

I just don't care how many people you heard and followed that the end was coming in such year, it can't be proven besides saying that it was said from someone in the platform or some elder.

How many times have you heard of entire congregations being dissolved ? Or whole Bodies of Elders being removed ? I know it's happened many times. Why ? The WTS got wind of 'immorality, apostasy' or other such things going on and took concrete steps to destroy this "leaven" before it could be spread among their followers.

Are you even remotely trying to suggest the GB had not "gotten wind" of what the majority of the JW's were thinking ? Do you further think they would not have come out strongly & vigorously against what they would consider "apostate thinking"? If so, that is delusional thinking.

If you are 30 years old you have no idea "how" things were back then.

Rabbit

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Now check this out, little did they know by there own definition their very own words would identify them as a False Prophet!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I wus there. The BS going around at the time cost me big time, and I can quote you the articles and talks of the era to show where we got it from.

You can BS me all you want, but the WT had me and my parents doing some really stupid things based on their litterature.

Things that have come back to bite us all on the ..... for many years.

Cheers

Chris

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

Ok I read most of the replies, so which one is it. Did the Watchtower specifically mention the 1975 date or not? Many of you come with an article then somebody else contradicts it. Like I said saying that most elders mentioned it doesn't mean a thing. My uncle elder said a lot of things that the wts did not say.

Oh, and Jim TX don't try and bring that 'houlier than thou attitude'. I can appreciate that you were doing air raid drills long time ago and lived thru it. But those were just drills, I currently have to live everyday of my life running to bunkers because of attacks on our military base and these are not drills, this is the real thing. So please just stop it there. I don't bitch about it because what I'm doing is my decision, and I wouldn't even think of bitching about doing drills if I were you back then.

• undercover
    undercover
    Ok I read most of the replies, so which one is it. Did the Watchtower specifically mention the 1975 date or not?

R6, I admire your ability to cut through the emotions to deal with the facts as I've seen you do on other threads and I see that's what you want to do here. You're basically saying, "Forget what you remember or heard or what was said, show me the facts..."

In answer to your question, yes, they did specifically mention 1975. Did they say specifically in print that Armageddon would occur in 1975? No, but even if the WTS didn't say in so many words, "Armageddon will happen in 1975", there are facts enough to show that the WTS willing promoted the date of 1975 as "special" and hyped up the possibility that something was going to happen if not in 75, shortly thereafter. They were coy enough to not print anything definitive about Armageddon, so as to not be called on it if they were wrong as they had been so many times before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit