When are ex-jws/Apostates going to get on with their lives?

by booker-t 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

Geez...I've been gone thirty years and still get pissed...let em rant, they have good reason to...

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Sometimes its good to have a sympathetic ear listen to your story.

Sometimes its good to be the one to listen with understanding and compassion.

Sometimes it's good to steer the conversation in a more postitive direction. For example, at the group I meet with someone asked: Now that you are out, do you vote? A couple of us have not registered yet so we asked back: How do you register??

Talking about the feelings of empowerment that go with growth was possible after being allowed to unload some sadness, frustration and anger.

Two hours is a long time to listen to a bitch-session. Wasn't anyone there able to talk about the things they've done to move forward???

-Aude.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I've been to numerous ApostaFests here in Texas...and not once was there ever a long-winded 'bitching' session. Usually, people will get off in little groups talking about a lot of different subjects. You walk around eating or drinking stuff and listen in...if it's interesting to you...you stay !

One thing that helps is to keep going to Fests, you get to really know different people. I've had discussions about cameras, food, kayaks, voting, ex-wives, children, scuba diving, rock climbing, etc., etc., etc. and even about JW's !

Everyone heals at different speeds. Sometimes just telling another person who can understand IS the thing that helps you heal. For instance, my Mom died over the blood issue and most people are very kind, but, just don't know what to say. I've met 3 other Ex-JW's now that have had a parent that died, because they could not take a blood transfusion.

I cannot tell you what it meant to me -- and them -- to sit quietly by ourselves and talk about this frustrating agony and pain we share and understand.

So, please don't be so harsh or paint all ApostaFests as being 'bashing sessions'...it's simply not true of a typical Fest. Since you've only been once...maybe you'll keep an open mind and check out a few more. I think you'll be glad you did.

Rabbit

And as DayStar said:

I hear ya booker! When we in Texas get tired of talking about the WBTS, we just start prodding the visiting Europeans to try saying "I'm goin' ta open up a can a whup ass!" It's a hoot!

That was one of the funniest American slang phrases to try and teach to a 'proper' speaking Englishman. It was a hoot !

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I don't think it ever leaves you. I have felt its hold over me fade a lot over the last two years, but it's going to take a long while to get rid of it completely. I think that a roomful of ex-anything won't have much else to talk about besides this major thing that they've been through, and it's healthy for a lot of people. A lot of other people don't need it. Congratulations if you don't. Other people do. Why punish them for it?

• Jamie_from_Canada
    Jamie_from_Canada

When are Jehovah's Witnesses going to get on with THEIR life?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    When are Jehovah's Witnesses going to get on with THEIR life?

Good point! How many of us tried to just quietly fade off, letting forums like this one be our ranting ground, yet they still came after us? I am going thru that right now, after hoping I would be able to successfully stay in touch with my cousin and best friend. No such luck - Jeff

• zev
    zev

booker t needs to sit in on months of cult survivalist meetings at meadowhaven in lakeville mass and see how others besides jw's get on with their lives. good grief.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

LOL.

Spending the rest of one's life ranting at JWs may be a little sad.

But spending the rest of one's life ranting at ex-JWs beats it hands down imo.

• jgnat
    jgnat

LoL Narkissos. Kind of like cursing at other drivers. Who is listening?

Welcome to the board, Velta!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit