The Capable Wife....

by LivingInReality 21 Replies latest jw friends

• mama1119
    mama1119

I am surprised he didnt command the wife the "render her due".

• earthtone
    earthtone

Mama, he probably did.. remember she walked out because she was so mad. lmao. He sounds like such an idiot!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Shannon: You go girl.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    ...."so what I'm saying sisters is.... to save money to help with the household you can make a garden and get food from that to make your dinners.... you can learn how to sew so that you can make your own clothes instead of spending money to go and buy them at expensive department stores.... and you could look into your circumstances to see if its feasible for you to quit your jobs to stay home and run the household....blah blah blah.."

This guy is bloody wacko! There is no reason why a "capable wife" shouldn't be able to do all those things and still hold down a full time job at the same time.

W

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I've heard that talk myself. I seem to remember that the guy who did it at our hall went on to say that, by quitting your job to be a housewife, you can maybe make room for pioneering, either auxilliary or, even better, regular, and wouldn't your husband and kids be proud of you if you did that, as well as how much you'd be pleasing jah.

It really all boils down to that, doesn't it? They just want more out of you, no matter how much you are already giving. I don't recall anyone actually taking his advice at the time, which would be around 4 years ago, I think.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Pretty much all of the rules and regulations surrounding women in the congregation are silly. It's all a bunch of overblown men trying to assert their authority over anyone they can. Especially if a woman is raised a JW, they can become an easy target. (this might not be true for everyone... but I know it took YEARS for me to get the idea out of my head that I had to submit to my husband's and other men's authority)

Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe THIS is why I was never "marriageable" as a JW wife. I could never get the hang of that submission thing...

• parakeet
    parakeet

***you can learn how to sew so that you can make your own clothes instead of spending money to go and buy them at expensive department stores***

This dub elder is even more braindead than most. I wonder what he would say if he actually priced fabric and the new sewing machines today.

The elders are trying to do to woman what the WTS does with elders -- keeping them under control. A wife who's at home (and dependent on her husband's income) can be threatened and controlled more easily than a woman with a career.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    Just another way to keep women dependent and subservient....

that's it, exactly.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

In today's world many housewives have to work (even if it is part time). The cost of living is so high. Any brother who imagines a woman can stay home and make her own clothing is nothing more than an IDIOT who is out of touch with reality. Only somebody who lived two hundred years ago and was in a deep sleep would think this.

I know that there are women who learned how to sew when they were young and maybe they will make an outfit once in a while. But, only a seamstress who does nothing else can do this all day.

As far as the REAL capable wife that is mentioned in the Bible...who got up early and did everything and gave orders to servants....the insecure idiots in the religion would be intimidated by her know-how.

They couldn't deal with a real capable wife.

LHG

• seawolf
    seawolf

I found a picture of the elder that gave the talk. It's obvious why he gave this talk now. He still has much evolving to do.

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit