What would you do? everyones input please!

by restrangled 23 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

I have a great neighbor who has always looked out for us and sent over very expensive pet food at no cost because she is in the business.

She has been a great neighbor all around for many years. Her daughter and my son are very good friends.

Just this week she asked my son to take care of her pets. He went surfing today and asked me to cover.

When I went over I was so alarmed, and came back so depressed I do not know what to do.

It is an 800 square foot house with 2 dogs, must be 8 fish tanks full of turtles, a cat,and a parrot sitting in a dusty cage in the dark. The counter tops in the kitchen were not visable, there must have been a stack of mail at least a foot tall and 2 feet wide. There were cages, for the dogs. I could not find the cat or the litter box. The back yard was clean except for 2 huge turtles, and I mean huge, (thought they were big rocks at first), she just sold 2 turtles for $1000.00 a piece which my husband had to lift into a truck. I guess I am alarmed a family could live this way. Both my husband and boys say its none of my business.

Maybe they are right, I just was extremely depressed after I got out of there. I can't imagine how the pets feel.

Sorry, Just need to talk about this.

r.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I went over I was so alarmed, and came back so depressed I do not know what to do

Ask your doctor for some antidepressants, Paxil. If that doesnt help you may need some therapy.

Seriously life sucks and than you die. And for some animals and reptiles it sucks a lot and then they die. I dont know of anything you can do to improve things. If you end up getting some beauacratic officials involved, the animals may end up in a shelter and then be destroyed. Would that be better? And your relationship with your neighbor will be kaput. Maybe your relationship with her is kaput anyway based on what you have witnessed. Thats my two cents, and thats about all it is worth in this case. I wish there was a magic pill for you and the animals. Good luck.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Both my husband and boys say its none of my business. I have to agree with them ( I dont really)I know how you felt though I have a grand-daughter a real slob.... When I go--- I offer her money to let me clean the dishes etc: she says "NAN this is MY house let me live as I want" I cry about it. But my daughter tells me what your hubby tells you ....Isnt it awful????

• TopHat
    TopHat

Have the ASPCA police come over to have a look...they can decide for you if this is not a good situation for the pets and they will take proper action. You are concerned and from your post it must be as dare and depressing for the animals also.

• TopHat
  • restrangled
    restrangled

Jagurbass, unless you know about animals, this is no situation for them, especially a parrot,... which I have had in my life. They love, sunlight, air, and being out of a cage. I cannot believe your response. apparently you have never had a pet. I do not need medication because of this situtation. MAYBE YOU DO!

Mouthy, thanks for your reply....the clutter was almost unbearable to look at and I guess I need to mind my own business. One bedroom was loaded with black plastic bags stuffed and stacked almost to the ceiling.

The small hallway is almost impossible to pass and the one bathroom was loaded with black mold.

I am just shocked. I do not want to call anyone on her because she has been such a nice sweet neighbor and her husband and daughters have been too.

It is just so shocking!

r.

• TopHat
    TopHat

I can understand you NOT wanted to call anyone BUT the ASPCA will just give her a week or two to clean up her act and take better care of her animals. If your neighbor really cares about her animals then she will comply. Please have a talk with her at least. Tell her about your concern for the Parrot living in a dark and dusty room. Maybe offer to help her clean up.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Tophat,

Thats what I kind of did today, opened the blinds, cleaned the parrot cage and brought over some fresh fruit for him.

Of course he bit the hell out of me because he is so frustrated. After that I cleaned her counters of empty cartons and garbage. Made the mistake of leaving the bag in the kitchen and the dogs tore it to shreds so a lot of good I did.

When her family gets back from vacation I will try to tactfully talk to her, but since she works with animals everyday as a Vet tech, I don't know exactly what good I can do. All her animals are healthy, and she also has a lizard she has hand raised and is now 5 feet long.

She has 2 turtles that must way 50 pounds each and are as tame as all get out......so what in the world does some one do. Her dogs are happy and healthy. It's the other pets I worry about and the number of pets in that square footage in the midst of absolute clutter and chaos.!

How does anyone exist like this and remain sane?....Thanks for listening.

r.

• jgnat
    jgnat

This sounds like someone who has overloaded her life and it has gotten out of control. It's a kind of disorder. I am sure when she added each pet she had full intention to take care of it. But she can't.

For you, try the serenity prayer. Make a list of the things you saw that are out of your control. Then will yourself not to think of them. Like the mess, for instance. Others can choose to live that way, and it has no direct bearing on your life.

On the other hand, you might start to make small steps to make it better for the animals. My daughter once adopted a large dog from a family that was out of control. We gave that dog a beautiful life. She's very old now, but an absolute dear of an animal. We weren't able to salvage the family. THAT was out of our control. As you can see, I am still serene, and not depressed. Since your neighbour recently gave up two turtles, perhaps you can tactfully suggest something like that for a parrot. Find a decent family first, and then tell your neighbour you know a lonely family that would dearly love to have a parrot to care for. And so on.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I do think you will have to say something to her though. It is cruelty.... Tell her she could give them to good homes. It isnt fair to the animals. Start off by saying "You are such a good neighbour to me, & I notice you have so many animals.... Isnt it unhealthy for them to remain is such close quarters."??? Let her answer !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit