What's the deal with beards????

by bittersweet 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There was a guy who started studying and coming to meetings in our cong, and he had a beard. The elders told him he had to shave it off, but Larry was black and his facial hair was especially kinky and he had to wear a beard lest he have rather painful ingrown hairs across his face. He went through a similar experience, asking for scriptural reasons for the beard ban but all he got was that Watchtower or Awake! article that discussed beards. So to please the elders he shaved it off and then, just as he told them, he got a bad rash on his face. And not long after that, we didn't see Larry at the meetings any more. I missed him...he was a really nice guy.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

One of the scriptures the WTS uses to prohibit tattoos is in context with not cutting the beard...Lev 19:27, 28.

Actually the prohibition is at the discretion of the local BOE per some BOE letter from a few years back. Generally speaking though even if the local BOE agrees with wearing a beard, the brother in question won't get any assembly or convention assignments from the CO & DO.

In my old congregation most of the elders hated shaving and would show up straight from work with a shadow, or following a vacation with some growth, but inevitably no one would stand up and grow a beard...too afraid of what the other elders were thinking.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Indeed in the UK it is not a big issue, I had a beard and no one really complained. This is just one of the more obvious man made rules in this org, beards were banned long before the hippies appeared and they could have said "at least keep them short and neat" rather than ban them outright.

• Badger
    Badger

Western Shirts, Bolo Ties and Boots...Also frowned own by the society, but in some parts of the country are commonplace and overlooked. Like adultery by elders.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

The elders told me I could move to England if I wanted to keep the beard. How about that for a sarcastic answer?

• solo
    solo

I remember when this all kicked off in the 70s, there were a couple of bros in the cong with beards, then there was this big old discussion saying how demons lived in beards and that anyone who had one would probably not become a MS

One bros beard was hiding is badly scarred face but he shaved it off and we got to look at his scars instead - he never go to be a MS, he got disfellowshipped in the end,

what about women with beards, is that banned too?

• Inkie
    Inkie

Finally-Free:

I used to think it was an "unwritten rule" too until I discovered it "written" in the elder book "Pay Attention to Yourselves and the Flock" manual the elders use. I don't know if it is contained in the current version of that manual, but it was in the one I had.

--Inkie

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

what about women with beards, is that banned too?

Solo, I doubt that even they've got a rule for that situation. It would almost be worth turning up to the kh wearing a false beard and a dress to see the reaction.lol

• restrangled
    restrangled

Take a look at the GB. Most have the mentality of the 1950's and haven't had to move on because they live in a protected time warped world no bigger than your entire home. They never leave, they don't read anything other than what they print, and probably don't watch any TV.

My dad as an elder had a gotee (spelling?) in the mid to late 70'[s. My husband was refused babtism in the early 70's because he had a beard among other things.

To this day I love his beard. To me, neatly trimmed facial hair enhances a man. God put it there for a reason.....It adds to masculinity. What do you think Adam shaved with? I don't remember Genesis saying anything about god creating scissors, a razor and a mirror to keep him decent.

More WBTS.... BS....Move over Pharisees, you have strong competition.

r.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Inkie...

I used to think it was an "unwritten rule" too until I discovered it "written" in the elder book "Pay Attention to Yourselves and the Flock" manual the elders use. I don't know if it is contained in the current version of that manual, but it was in the one I had.

What did the elder book say? I wonder if that same elder book is in England where apparently it is no big deal to have a beard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit