Generation change?

by Jerohobobonadad 18 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
  • AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    From the above quote, it reads to me as it could be during anyone's lifetime, in which case there's no point in making a whole doctrine about it.

MidwichCuckoo,

You are only being thick if, in this instance, "thick" carries a connotation (of which I am unaware) of "spot on!"

But the fact is they DID make a whole doctrine about it. And mad emuch over the doctrine. And made much over their having the doctrine and the rest of Christendom NOT having it. After all, that was proof that they were being used by God, they saw the significance of the generation and they alone among the religions of the earth knew which generation it applied to.

It was one of the key teachings that proved the "truth" to me, as I was growing up. I am sure I was not alone.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• greendawn
    greendawn

In 1995 the so called 1914 generation ceases to have a literal meaning and a literal life span of 80 years as before and it becomes figurative which means it can now be indefinitely long even many centuries long. The 1914 generation now is the sum total of those that refuse (or refused) to accept the gospel from the first century to now, and until the end comes.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Thanks for that link Garybuss - just read it through and saved it to favourites.

Thanks also Auld Soul - they NOW explain the Generation thing in such a convoluted way, that I think the R&F believe it's their fault for not grasping it.

• trevor
    trevor

“Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah’s people have at times speculated about the time when the “great tribulation” would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However we “bring a heart of wisdom in.” Not by speculating about how many days or years make up a generation, but by thinking about how we “count our days” in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term “generation” as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historic period, with their identifying characteristics”

“Is anything to be gained, then, by looking for dates or by speculating about the literal lifetime of a “generation”? Far from it! Therefore, in the final fulfilment of Jesus’ prophecy today, “this generation” apparently refers to the people of the earth who see the sign of Christ’s presence but fail to mend their ways. Does our more precise viewpoint on “this Generation” mean that Armageddon is further away than we had thought? Not at all.” Watchtower 1 Nov. 1995 Pages 17-20

Did you notice that the Society did not say – We have at times speculated, but “Jehovah’s people have at times speculated.” The blame for a lifetime of misinterpreting the scriptures and making false prophecies in God’s name is shared with the membership. These are the same members that were threatened with excommunication if they ever dared to challenge the pronouncements coming from the Society, who claim to be “God’s mouthpiece.”

Having spent the last hundred years warning their members and millions of non-members that the world as we know it is about to end, the Society eventually admits that the single verse of scripture that they have based this prediction on is now to be understood differently. Surely this means that Armageddon is further away than they had thought? According to the Watchtower Society -“Not at all!”

Is this an honest way to deal with

such a fundamental shift of belief?

Many of the membership had built their lives around the time-scale dictated to them by the Society. Some had not planned for retirement having been categorically assured that they would never reach old age. Others had sacrificed their careers and family life to give greater service. What now? The Society are fond of assuring its members that God will one day reward them for the sacrifices they have made. They quote from the Bible “for he is not unrighteous soas to forget the love that you showed for his name.” But is it showing love for someone’s name to spread false promises in their name and make it an object of ridicule?

What of the members who secretly doubted the Society's advice and went to college and later took up a full time career? Some even married and had families while feeling guilty for totally ignoring the Society's advice. Such people at the time were considered “weak in the faith,” and yet a lifetime later their decisions have proved to be based on a more accurate view of the future than the Society had proclaimed. They did show a lack of faith in the Watchtower Society. But then the Bible states that the requirement for Christians is faith in Jesus Christ.

Taken from the book, Opening the Door to Jehovah's Witnesses - by Trevor Willis

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I remember this change well. Many older jws in our kh, who had assumed that the end of the system would come before they died, suddenly found out that that may not be so. Most of them are dead now, and this "system" still goes on. It was a neat trick by the wts, postponing armageddon for an indefinite period, and making it look like a blessing, but that's all it was - a trick. Time was running out on one of their key prophecies, so they had to do something to keep the flock, or most of them happy.

I saw it as a blessing myself at the time. Now I recognise it for what it really is - another example of wts deceit.

• solo
    solo

before they all die off; rather it is anyone who

garybuss, sorry but that is such a JW way of speaking, I remember brothers saying that word all the time in the 70s and 80s and I've never forgotten it!

So say I decide to go back to JWland (perish the thought, hell will freeze over, etc) will I have to relearn their teachings because of all the changes? Wouldn't that be a laugh getting them to try and explain it all.

I thought this generation would by no means pass away before armageddon or something. They must be knocking on 100 by now

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote:

before they all die off; rather it is anyone whogarybuss, sorry but that is such a JW way of speaking

Hahahaha!!! I'll be sure to tell Randy. Thanks!

• The_Replacement
    The_Replacement

One of the best incites to how they preached this infatically (is that a word ?) Is to read the Watchtower articles that were in a four part series ... April 1, 15, May 1, 15, 1984. They have some awesome quotes that cannot be changed. Could someone post those articles ??????????

Of course the masthead in the Awake from 1982-1995 where it says why Awake is Published.

Why Awake! is published

Awake! is for the enlightenment of the entire family. It shows how to cope with today’s problems. It reports the news, tells about people in many lands, examines religion and science. But it does more. It probes beneath the surface and points to the real meaning behind current events, yet it always stays politically neutral and does not exalt one race above the other. Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator’s promise of a peaceful and secure world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away.

Hmmmmmmm, CREATOR’S PROMISE, not man’s, not the Watchtower’s, the Creator’s

then in November 1995 it was changed to and I QUOTE :

Why Awake! is published

Awake! is for the enlightenment of the entire family. It shows how to cope with today’s problems. It reports the news, tells about people in many lands, examines religion and science. But it does more. It probes beneath the surface and points to the real meaning behind current events, yet it always stays politically neutral and does not exalt one race above the other. Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator’s promise of a peaceful and secure new world that is about to replace the present wicked lawless system of things.

All reference to 1914 is now deleted, presenting evidence of this crucial change, as well as, in effect, indicating that “the Creator” has somehow changed his mind on his “promise” tied to the 1914 generation.

The whole idea to keep the Watchtower going is that the end is so close, and they will continue to come up with new BS to keep the scam going.

The October 1993 Kingdom Ministry on the last page has a great quote to the generation and the purpose of the Awake as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit