Generation change?

by Jerohobobonadad 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Jerohobobonadad
    Jerohobobonadad

Hello all.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly was the generation change, and what are the implications for JW doctrine?

Although I rarely missed a meeting until a couple of years ago, this either went over my head or I wasn't listening (most likley).

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box so please keep it simple! References would be nice.

Thanks

Jerohobobobobonadabadad.

• garybuss
    garybuss

By Randy Watters:

The "generation of 1914" has been redefined. Now, it is no longer the generation born around the year 1914 that will see the prophecies of Matthew 24 come to pass before they all die off; rather it is anyone who is a member of that wicked generation who witness the troublesome events of Matthew 24 who will see Christ return to execute judgment (invisibly of course). The information has been hinted at but has officially begun with the Oct. 15, 1995 Watchtower and further expounded upon with the Nov. 1, 1995 Watchtower. Also, the work of separating the "sheep and the goats" which at one time began in 1914 now hasn't even started yet and won't until after the Great Tribulation.

http://www.freeminds.org/history/new1914.htm

Good article:

http://www.exjws.net/pioneers/perez.htm

The above is a great article for context.

• I quit!
    I quit!

When I was in the tower I seem to remember them saying that the generation referred to would have to be old enough to understand the events that happened in 1914 in other words born around 1900 or shortly there after. Here is a quote from "Witness of Jehovah by Leonard & Marjorie Chretien where they are quoting from the Oct 8, 1968 Awake pages 13, 14: ""the watchtower was stating that the "generation" was approximately 70 years old and that the youngest member of the 1914 generation would have been around 15 years of age in 1914. Clearly they were stating that the "generation" was born at the turn of the century.""

• blondie
    blondie

I quit, that changed in 1995. The URL Gary gives is an excellent summation for JWs who left before 1995 (and evidently for some who were adults during that time).

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Basically their stance now is what other Christian churches have been saying for years. The people who are alive at the time will see the events. A little obvious, shame it took WT over 100 years to see it.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.....The 1914 Generation means nothing??..Say that in the old days and you would be Disfellowshipped,case closed!!..WBT$,do you feel stupid or what??..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Jerohobobobobonadabadad.

Could you please keep it to no more than 2 bobos?

Thanks.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I remember discussing this change with my brother in law one day and my wife getting furious because I was asking uncomfortable questions about the slaves counsel. Later she went on a tirade about me always being critical and fault finding of the WT.

When I asked her, isn't that what they do of every other religion, that ended the conversation.

• Jerohobobonadad
    Jerohobobonadad

Ok. Only 2 bobo's

Regards

Jerhobobonadadabadadad.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    ... rather it is anyone who is a member of that wicked generation who witness the troublesome events of Matthew 24 who will see Christ return to execute judgment (invisibly of course)

I just cannot get my head around it. How on EARTH do the dubs pull this off when out on the FS? From the above quote, it reads to me as it could be during anyone's lifetime, in which case there's no point in making a whole doctrine about it. If I'm being thick, can you be tactful in telling me. Ta.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit