OMG Have you ever taken a keyboard apart to clean it?

by Lady Lee 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

If your keyboard is an expensive one that you can't replace for cheap, then canned air is your friend. Make sure the computer is off first as the gases can cause brief condensation and chilling of the components which can lead to damage in electronics if they are hot when you do it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    If it's so bad and gross just buy one for $19 or less

that's what I did - twice The ones that are like my ergonomic are in the range of $70-120. I had more money back then Kate

What the heck are you two old folks talkin about? Floaters?

My floaters are little specks in the eye. As we age we seem to get more of them. Drs just say ighnore it. One I can ignore. I'd hate to have a dozen of them. When I move my head the floater "floats" around and then selltes out of the lens view - until you move your head again Little Drummer Boy I have a can of compressed air but for some reason it just won't get everything out. Taking it apart and washing it was actually pretty cool. They have certainly made them easier to take apart.. If it doesn't work then I haven't lost anything. If it does work I've saved myself a lot of $$$

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I just buy a new one for ten bucks at Staples and throw the old one away. THe technology is so standardized they are cheap nowadays and not worth taking apart. Sadly, filling up landfills and wasting plastics and metal.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

My floaters are little specks in the eye. As we age we seem to get more of them. Drs just say ighnore it. One I can ignore. I'd hate to have a dozen of them. When I move my head the floater "floats" around and then selltes out of the lens view - until you move your head again

I have those! I thought it was just because I'm so loopy......

LDB:

then canned air is your friend.

Yay! I love that stuff use it on my sewing machine all the time now I'll just have to try it on my keyboard.....wonder why I didn't think of that before? Oh yeah see above....I'm loopy!

Lee:

Taking it apart and washing it was actually pretty cool. They have certainly made them easier to take apart.. If it doesn't work then I haven't lost anything. If it does work I've saved myself a lot of $$$

You are a brave woman! I usually have no problem getting things apart....it's the back together part that gets me everytime! Sigh. But then hubby says that's what he's for......he's sorta getting used to fixing things I started to fix, he,hee.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Hi Lady Lee,

If the air won't get the gunk out, and if you really want to save an expensive keyboard with residue in it you can do the following. (no, I'm not making this up, it is in the A+ PC hardware certification training ):

Put it in the dishwasher.

Seriuosly.

Face down, no detergent, COLD WATER, NO HEAT dry cycle, by itself (no dishes or anything).

Let it dry for a few days, changing the orientation that it is sitting so that water will drain out of it. If it comes apart into modules like you mentioned, that will help it dry better.

Make absolutely sure that it is dry before you plug it back in.

Now, I do want to say that I would only do this dishwasher method as a last resort because something might go wrong, but it will work as long as you make sure not to heat up the keyboard either with the water or the drying, and that you make sure it is dry.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

well that might work IF I had a dishwasher

I know there are many electronic things that get wet and they will work if you really let it dry out totally.

PS I built this computer from the motherboard and casing up so I', not too scared of taking things apart and getting them together again and working

Kate

Growing up both my parents were capable of fixing things. My mother grew up on a farm and by the age of ten knew how to fix the tractor. Mt father was always fixing or making something

For some unfathomable I have never lived with a man who knew how to fix things. So out of necessity I have learned how to build a shed and shingle the roof, repair vacuum cleaner, toasters, lamps, build and refinish furniture, build and repair my computer plus do all of the "women's work". I've even takenm apart my old wheelchair and scooter and fixed things on them.

Makes me wonder why I would want to live with another man.

• KW13
    KW13

i decided to clean my keyboard out - it all worked out well but before i came to putting it together i had to go out - anyway i used a spare keyboard cos i couldn't be bothered completing the job. for months i keep finding keyboard buttons and seeing them in random places, and i've lost the keyboard lol.

• SoBizzy
    SoBizzy

my husband got a ergonomical keyboard from his brother - (he wasn't a very clean man) the keyboard was disgusting - my husband put it in the dishwasher and it came out clean ! Made sure it was dry (at least a day of air drying) and it was clean and worked fine!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I don't eat over my keyboard, but I was surprised to pull out a couple of teaspoons of eyelashes when I cleaned it once.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Two teaspoons of eyelashes.

That's it, we're shedding, hairy ANIMALS. I'm having a shower, and no talking about MITES while I'm gone...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit