OMG Have you ever taken a keyboard apart to clean it?

by Lady Lee 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I did this years ago and it was so gross I didn't want to do it again. And each key came out separately - a real pain when you wanted to put it all back together

My good ergonomic keyboard wouldn't put in spaces so typing was a pain. I had to copy a space and add it after every word I typed

Not wanting to take it apart and find what might be in there I went and bought a new one. When I got home I discovered that it was a USB keyboard and wouldn't plug into my keyboard slot. I had to plug it into my USB hub. It worked fine except for some really weird reason the computer could not see my mouse unless I plugged that into the hub as well. OHsigh I had control of both my mouse and my keyborad and had 2 less USB slots. And the keys are so small I am making way more mistakes and you are finding out what a bad typist I am. (I won't tell you how many times I had to proof read this)

That worked well until I tried to get into the BIOS. No keyboard. I couldn't use the keyboard to get into the bios. The computer couldn't see the keyboard until Windows opened. sigh

So I went to buy an adapter and it seems no one sells them anymore. sigh. I had to buy a short cable that would let me use a USB adapter I had. Reboot the computer and zap - no keyboard. I guess it didn't like the taste of the cable so back to the hub. sigh.

I was in a store last night and they had a sale on PS/2 keyboards!!! Wow my problems solved. That is what I am using right now. Are you ready? sigh The keys here are similar to the first computer I had way back in the 80s. Small in size, keys too close to each other and the constant click click click of the keys.

grrrrr So I grabbed the old ergonomic keyboard and decided to bite the bullet and take it apart.

EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Yes I eat over my keyboard. And it serves as a tray for all sorts of things: cat whiskers, crumbs, spilled drinks and two insect larvae.

The good news is that is was so easy to take apart and clean. You still have to be carefull but it comes apart in modules. Once the back was off the rest was easy, left side, right side and middle. All plastic with no wires attached. So I washed them. In the kitchen sink. Took a little brush and got out all the crap. They are sitting in the drainboard right now. I'll let them dry for a couple of days just to make sure there is no water to drip onto the wires when I put it back together. All in all much easier than the old one I took apart in the 80s.

• jgnat
    jgnat

EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I completely agree. I eat over my keyboard too. I take the shortcut approach to keyboard cleaning. Once in a while I turn it upside down and give it a few hard raps against the table. I sweep up the crumbs and toss them.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Yes, I was a service engineer

You can buy 'keyboard covers', bit like a keyboard condom ,

keeps everything out even coffee

http://www.kador.com/comp.htm

fokyc

• garybuss
    garybuss

Lady Lee, as I was sitting here reading your post something moved on the left side of my screen. When I leaned ahead to see what it was, it moved again and then stopped. Then I'd read, and it'd move again. When I leaned ahead to see what it was, it moved again and then stopped.

When I'd sit and look at the screen and not read, nothing moved. Just as I was going to give up and quit reading, I see what it is. It's the little mouse pointer, the cursor.

• solo
    solo

I had to copy a space and add it after every word I typed

my goodness you have some sort of patience! I think I would have thrown the thing out of the window at that point!

Once in a while I turn it upside down and give it a few hard raps against the table. I sweep up the crumbs and toss them.

you mean you don't make a tasty meal out of it all? I too have done this, usually to work keyboards after a string of poeple have used the pc. It can take several minutes of whacking upside down, then side to side then back up the right way then upside down again to get all the food, hair, dead skin, nose picking, etc out. Then a sterile wipe or 20 later it might even be fit to use.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The problem with the turn-over-and-rap is that the keys are hollow underneath. So when you turn it over a lot of the dirt drops into the key. With the amount of crap I had in there I'd be rapping for a long time.

A while back I bought a little vacuum for the computer = totally useless. grr this stupid board has keys in the wrong places. I have large hands I need a large keyboard

Gary

Have you got one of those mice that decides to do its own traveling. I use a trackball and every now and then it starts roaming around my screen. Gets me every time thinking something is wrong

• garybuss
    garybuss

Lee. I think the mouse is attached to something that was moving . . . my hand. I have so many floaters I don't need video games. I can play ping pong with a blank white screen.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

lol I have one floater in my right eye. For the most part it doesn't bother me but some days its all I see

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

jgnat:

Once in a while I turn it upside down and give it a few hard raps against the table. I sweep up the crumbs and toss them.

That's what I do only first I use a paint brush on the keys to loosen up stuff. I'm always so amazed at what is on my desk top, ewel. After I do that then I give it a very good wipe with sanitizer and clean my mousey too even his ball.

lol I have one floater in my right eye. For the most part it doesn't bother me but some days its all I see

Okay taking this thread to a lower level.......I flush my floaters! What the heck are you two old folks talkin about? Floaters? Grief!

he,hee Lee may just [edit] my post!

• sspo
    sspo

If it's so bad and gross just buy one for $19 or less

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit