OMG Have you ever taken a keyboard apart to clean it?

by Lady Lee 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    and no talking about MITES while I'm gone...

well I might be tempted to stop talking about mites if you think it might bother you

Sorry I just couldn't help myself..... wel I might have but I decided not to

Yhe board is dry and back in one piece. I'll try plugging it in tomorrow

grrr this stupid keyboard is too small

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I don't get this keyboard cleaning business - aren't new ones under $10 at the supermarket and the latest opitical cordless microsoft keyboard (with cordless mouse)is only $80AU. Now I want all you slobs to toss out your keyboards this week and get into cordless optical mice

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Yup I bought the $9 one. That isthe one I am using now with keys so small I can't type proprerly. The delete button is moved to as different place.

The $14 dolar one was the USB that mt computer won't see until Windows fires up. That one had a spill resistent design and a "compact" design. No wonder the keys are so close together

In Canada the ergonomic keyboards start art around $80 CND and go up from there. As for the wireless bit. I won't go there. I'd have to have stock in a battery company to keep myself going with batteries all the time.

And I'm never giving up my trackball. It is just so much easier to move the ball instead ogf the moise

(the unedited version using this keyboard)

• shera
    shera

hehehehe,i know mine gets NASTY!

Time to buy a new one...no hope for mine.Don't want to see what is in it.I have a cockatiel who loves to jump on mine to get attention..soooo you know what is in there.

• shera
    shera

I have to add...I do clean the surface and between the keys well...lol!

• Honesty
    Honesty

I use compressed air about twice a week on my wireless keyboard. If you eat in front of the 'puter like I do three or four times a day be sure to invest in a pair of safety goggles and wear them when you hit the keyboard with the compressor. It helps keep shrapnel wounds down to a minimum.

This size rids the keyboard of any loose particles of cookies and tater chips:

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

that compressor looks so dangerous. I won't even go there.

I thought it was funny to find a cat whisker in there since I haven't had catsa for 2 years - that'll give you an idea how longer since I blasted it

All in all I thought it would be worse than it was. I've started putting a dishtowel over the keyboard when I am eatong to cut down on the crumbs

The wash did finally get rid of the egg yoke that dropped in there a while back

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK the keyboard was cleaned and well dried, put back together and plugged in

IT WORKS!!!!

well everything worked except the space bar which is what started all this.

So now I have

• 1 old keyboard that doesn't do spaces
    • i small keyboard that will only work if it is plugged into the USB hub. And if the keyboard is in the plug the computer refuses to see the mouse so that has to go into the hub as well
    • i new keyboard with tiny keys that plugs into the PS2 socket but is so small that I am constantly making mistakes

So I went and bought a good keyboard $79 CDN with a $20 rebate

Then last night my monitor stopped working. I tried everything. Turn off. Turn on. Reboot. Check to make sure all the cables are plugged in.

So I went off to buy a new monitor. You know you can't buy the old monitors anymore. They are all flat screen LCDs. Well my monitor sits on an angle in a well in the top of the desk. That won't work with an LCD flat screen. But I had to get something or go through major withdrawal. And my laptop won't connect to my high speed modem.

I bought 1 and brought it home. Went to unplug the old one and discovered the plug was loose on the back of the monitor. wiggle wiggle and zap. My monitor is working and I hadn't even unpacked the new one.

But I love my new keyboard - a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic with the split keyboard and it has lots of things to discover

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I do the shake it out thing every now and again. That is scary enough. Mine is not ergonomic, just cheap. I admire the patience of anyone who would take it apart to clean it! We don't eat too much over it-or it would be much worse. I spend most of my family time telling my husband or kids NO EATING IN THE LIVING ROOM. The message hasn't arrived yet, but it is SO much fun to nag. . .:) We go through computers so fast that we don't have a chance to kill off the keyboards before we kill off the computers.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

...a little late to be dropping in on this thread...

A few years ago, I 'inherited' a lot of older computer equipment. We're talking 286's and 386's. There were lots of keyboards that didn't quite work right.

Since I didn't have anything to lose, I dismantled the keyboards, and cleaned them out, then reassembled them. I've never seen so many small screws used in my life. I was able to revive many a keyboard using this technique.

I'm not sure how they are made nowadays... but if I had to, I suppose I would do it again.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit