The Holy Spirit

by Frenchy 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Hi Frenchy,

Those are very good and thought provoking questions you posted. I was just qouting a few articles the WT has to say about this subject about understanding the Bible.

I myself think the Watcthtower jumped the gun a bit with such statements. It is Jehovah's Spirit that guides our understanding of his word, not religious interpretation or opinions. It is because of differing religious interpretation of Scripture that we have so many religions today. It seems that everyone has an opinion on what the Bible says to fit their needs or doctrines.

Thank you for your input, I enjoy reading your posts.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey, guys....

A long time ago, I tried to read the Bible, but it was such a chore - and there were so many kids to take care of and anti-depressants to take, etc.

The Society told me in their writings that Yes, indeed, I should read my Bible but that it would be much easier and safer for me if they did the actual research and just told me what scriptures to reference - and I should read these scriptures in the Bible that they had written. It was the best translation - they told me so.

So, I read their Watchtowers, explaining their scriptures found in their Bible - and I was convinced of their rightness. And they told me never to listen to anyone who spoke against Jehovah, Jesus, and the Watchtower. And I did just that - even getting terribly bored when confronted with apostate material (no interest in looking - this really happened to me).

And then a situation arrived where I was forced, in my opinion, to see if anyone, any where, could explain the situation I found myself. And I found the web - and as they say, the rest is history.

We all need the freedom to do our own research, our own thinking, agreeing, disagreeing, worship, living. Why, heck, most of us older ones fought for freedom when young - either military or hippies - same difference.

• Jokemyster
    Jokemyster

Ozzie..why do you stay? why not just walk away and then look back like I am...I took a break and found the real "truth"

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Jokemyster,

What real truth are you talking about? Is this something new revealed by the Governing Body?

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

That's the problem right there....Watchtower tells us to listen to them.Why I recall what Christ said about the Holy Spirit....."But the Helper,the Holy Spirit,whom the Father will send in My name,He will teach you all things,and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."

John 14:26.

I rather listen to the Holy Spirit. Easy....

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The bible was written by a bunch of different men who were not on the same page with each other. It is full of contradiction conflict and confusion. Is that the holy spirit you are talking about. Contradiction, conflict, and confusion.

• Jehovah Saves
    Jehovah Saves

13 Therefore, if YOU, although being wicked, know how to give good gifts to YOUR children, how much more so will the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those asking him!”

• Apostate Kate2
    Apostate Kate2

Welcome to the Forum Jehovah Saves!

You sure have resurected an old thread here!

You quoted a Scripture without any commentary. The NWT does make it sound like an invisable "active force" yet the way I understand it the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God dwelling in me. It is a gift when we are ready to receive Jesus humbly as innocent little children. (John 3)

John 14:23 Jesus answered him, "If a man loves me, he will keep my word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our home with him. WEB

So for me the actual presence of God dwells within me. It is not an active force.

It is a gift when one believes in Jesus. John 3:15 that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

• Jehovah Saves
    Jehovah Saves

Hi,
    I let the text speak for itself.

10 And everyone that says a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but he that blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven it.

blaspheme |blas?fi?m|
    verb [ intrans. ]
    speak irreverently about God or sacred things

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

lol wow what an old thread.

ok holy spirit is another word for mana, magic, mystical power, superstition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit