Richard Branson - well done!

by Simon 19 Replies latest social current

• Zep
    Zep

I wonder if he is rethinking his ideas of ferreting tourists into space by 2020 or something. Never found that idea very environmentally responsible to be totally honest.

The growth in aviation is a problem with regards to greenhouse. It has an added forcing effect because it creates additional water vapour that further warms the planet. But demand seems to be going on unabated at the minute. Some people have suggested that planes might have to start flying lower to counter the impact somewhat.

Anyway...good on Branson. But its long overdue thats these guys did something I cant help but feel.

Not sure about ethanol either. It means converting land thats devoted to the production of food for people to eat (duh!) to the production of fuel. The world is currently in net food surplus (though some people wouldnt know it). Thats tipped to change to a deficit in this century. Converting land to fuel production will further exacerbate that problem.

Id rather see planes flying around with big solar panels on them. But i dont think thats technologically feasible.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I use to have a Virgin Mobile wireless phone. Loved it for the kids. So, maybe, I should buy other Virgin Mobile products to help the cause!

• blondie
    blondie

Reminds me of the stories recently about Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/25/magazines/fortune/charity1.fortune/index.htm

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

It still wont make me drink Virgin Cola...I think it tastes like shite!

Good effort though!

DB74

• greendawn
    greendawn

The guy is really committed to the cause of keeping the earth clean and he is willing to make the necessary sacrifices for it, well done.

• trevor
    trevor

I don't doubt Ricard Branson's integrity and commend his foresight. It could just be that investing in future fuels is a very shrewd investment strategy.

Still any man that operates at corporate level and refuses to wear a tie has my vote.

• Sirona
    Sirona

I love Richard Branson! This is a great step forward!

I'm going to buy all virgin products from now on. (crosses fingers behind back)

Sirona

• ballistic
    ballistic
    I'm going to buy all virgin products from now on.

I buy lots of that Branson pickle. It's great stuff!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Good for him. I am less than 10 years away from being 100% on solar power for my home. My hope is more of us continue to look for better energy solutions. Over the past two years, improvements to my home reduced my energy use by about 30%.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I heard about this when he announced it a week or so ago. My only concern is that someone else will get rich from it.

I can't help think about Hurricane Katrina and all the millions sent to the charities to help the victims, and they still need help and where is the money? Someone got rich for sure.

I think Richard Branson is an incredibly generous man though. Good for him! I hope his money goes to a good place and not someone's pocket.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit