If the Apostles "expected" Jesus to return in the first century is that fp?

by booker-t 16 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

What is the "difference" between what early christians and biblical prophets did in expecting Jesus to return in the 1st century and what JW's have done for over 100 years of false expectations? I am in no way trying to excuse JW's and their false prophecies but why is it so different when Born-Agains and other Christians set a date for something but when it fails no body says one word about it. But when JW's and Mormons do the same thing all hell breaks loose. I did some reseach on in the library on early christians and I was shocked that they set many dates for the rapture and the return of Jesus and also the Catholic Church did the same as well. Even modern Born-Agains such as Oral Roberts, Billy Graham, Jim and Tammy Bakker and many of the prophecy teachers have set dates that did not materilize. So is there a "double standard" against JW's and Mormons from Christians on date setting?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

There's no double standard as far as I'm concerned.

History is litterred with people who prophecied the end of the world by a certain date, and the jws are on that list. All those people have one thing in common - they were all wrong.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    no body says one word about it.

They DO say words about it. You hear less about them because it was either a long time ago, or it wasn't stated as often as JWs state it. I'm sure there were major uproars when mainstream religions let people down.

I think the differences is in how ex-JWs really are upset more than No-Longer-Practicing Catholics or Moonies. I think our expectations were higher, we were strung along better, so we crashed further.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Ha! I said that the last time I talked to my elder brother. He asked me the ol "well where else will you go what other religion if the witnesses are wrong."

I told him I didn't think the witnesses were more or less wrong than any other religion they are all EQUALY WRONG!

Of course that was before I had time to reflect on the blood issue the shunning issue ect Now I think they are worse than many!

• Kaput
    Kaput
    I am in no way trying to excuse JW's and their false prophecies but why is it so different when Born-Agains and other Christians set a date for something but when it fails no body says one word about it. But when JW's and Mormons do the same thing all hell breaks loose.

Because JW's and Mormons bother people at the door (or anywhere for that matter). They are there to let you know, in person, that they've got all the answers. So the price they pay for their "in your face" assertiveness is a big, loud, continually reverberating yippee when they're wrong.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

1st century Christians are all dead,what would be the point of giving them a hard time?..Jehovah`s Witness`s come to your door.It`s much easyer to give them a hard time,than someone whose been dead for 1900yrs..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yeah - they are all equally wrong. Early Christians were just as wrong as JWs today.

Probably the Witnesses and Mormons deserve to get more crap about it because it is so arrogant to go house to house proclaiming your version of 'the truth.' But I think all of those television evangelists are just as arrogant and smarmy.

The whole lot of them suck. I found quotes in the Bible about "the day of Jehovah is near" going back about 3000 years. Figure it out. It ain't gonna happen folks!

S4

• Amazing
    Amazing

The expectations of the early Christians were not the same as JW false prophecy. The Watchtower has taken some scriptures and distortedf them out of context so as to make it appear that the early Christians were just like modern JWs, keeping in constant expectation of the end. But, there is a big difference. Maybe someone can share the Bible verses that supposedly show the early Christians believing in false prophecy, and lets nail this thing down ... because I just cannot find anything on this that is comparable to JW beliefs or views.

Jim Whitney

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

can you cite the sources?

• ania
    ania
    But I think all of those television evangelists are just as arrogant and smarmy.

& at least you can change the channel or switch them off!!! The only thing that gets rid of JW's is a vicious dog or a realy big "SATANIST"S LIVE HERE" sign

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit