weird phrases in WT

by badboy 56 Replies latest jw friends

• grey matters
    grey matters

What about the meeting places being called Kingdom Halls? The explanation being that since God's Kingdom is a real government, these edifices are like "City Halls" for it?

I had not really thought about it before that explanation came out in an article, but I thought the idea was downright... corny.

• badboy
    badboy

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES!

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Good news--overused.

• joe_black
    joe_black

"field service" .....I always envisioned men in puritan suits and women in amish dress out in the field picking chili, lol

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189

I mother and Aunt saying go put on your "kingdom clothes" so we can leave for the meeting. Has anybody else ever heard "Kingdom clothes, or kingdom shoes" ?

• cathyk
    cathyk

The phrases "fleshly brother" or "fleshly sister" (referring to one's siblings rather than one's "brothers and sisters" in religion) sets my teeth on edge. I get an unpleasant mental picture of skinned people.

Cathy Koenig

www.oldlighthousebooks.com

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189
    The phrases "fleshly brother" or "fleshly sister" (referring to one's siblings rather than one's "brothers and sisters" in religion) sets my teeth on edge. I get an unpleasant mental picture of skinned people.

I know what you mean, its like when I hear "unbelieving mate". It makes me picture them having sex.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Some good stuff in here. I love the happifying comments especially.
    Mary mentioned one of my all time un-favorites: the "five meetings a week" thing. There are three meetings a week, not five--why do they insist on this number? I understand why they SAY 5 meetings a week, but it's bizzare to anyone from the outside. Does it sound more impressive, or something?
    Some of these I've never heard in over 30 years of being a Witness: "Mother" referring to the organization is an example.

• Kudra
    Kudra

WITH GREEDINESS!

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.jwfiles.com/jw-words.htm

Check and see if yours is on this site; if not, let them know so they can add it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit