Have you had to fire anyone?

by seahart 22 Replies latest jw friends

• seahart
    seahart

JeffT, She was contracted. What she is holding is the past records of excise tax, cust. data,data entry stuff. I also want to say I did become friends with her. We have had dinner with her and her husband in the past. All along she has told me that this was only to help me get my business going and she has wanted to work less,sort of semi-retire. Which I thought I would be helping her do. I am thinking she really doesn't want to semi-retire. But why would she tell me this multiple times? S.

• oldflame
    oldflame

I have been self employed for 20 plus years and over that 20 years I have fired many. It does not bother me to fire someone because it is my business I have to take care of and if someone is hindering my progress then so be it ! Let them go !

• hambeak
    hambeak

Absolutely yes! What I do is point out the behaviour or way they are doing something and explain what I expect. When they show improvement I give them commendation in some cases more training if either of these don't work I look at it as the employee fired themself.

• moshe
    moshe

Yes I have fired a few people when I was a foreman in Electrical construction. I always gave them help to stay on the team, but some people just want to spend their life trying to get out of working or stealing from the company they work for. I always took the opinion that they fired themselves.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Yes unfortunately and its never a pleasant experience. The first time was an underperforming member of my team and the other was a redundancy situation.

I advise on many terminations of employment and I am completely objective when advising clients but when you need to do it personally its a whole different ball game. Hopefully I will never have to do it again but experience tells me that that is unrealistic.

DB74

• JeffT
    JeffT

Seahart, you have a PM

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Yes, I was involved in firing a mail carrier who was filmed throwing away mail. He was also an elder. Because he was close to retiring, he was allowed retire or be fired. He told the Hall, he wanted to retire early, to devote his time to caring for his ailing wife. The congregation just ate it up. "Isn't Brother C. wonderful, caring for Sister C. like that?" I was told they were cooing over him at the Hall.

Disgusting!

• free2beme
    free2beme

As a manager for nearly 15 years, I would have to say "yes" to your question. Many times!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Yes, when I was assistant director of nursing I had to fire several. It was never any fun. Most of the time they brought it on themselves. But the ones that weren't treating patients with respect and compassion, I had no trouble firing. A couple of them I turned into the state. They didn't deserve to be in nursing. Or at least needed to be investigated or monitored.

shelley

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Ugh. I HATE firing anyone. My first month on the job as an office manager I "got to" fire a paralegal who had lied about a mistake she made. That was hard enough but then she started calling every day wanting to talk to the attorneys to find out why she got fired. My orders were to not get into specifics so I fielded all the calls. I kept my temper until she said "you'd better be glad my boyfriend isn't talking to you" and I snapped and said, "bring it on -- you have no idea what you're dealing with here." Two seconds after she hung up this guy called, trying to sound very officious and said he was "representing" the girl I fired. I laughed and said, "your'e [her] boyfriend, aren't you?" Well, he tried to bully me (I think he was playing Big Man On Campus for her benefit, and I finally told him to F*** Off, which earned me the respect and awe of everyone in the office, because by that time I'd raised my voice enough that everyone could hear me.

Then last year I "got to" let several people go in a downsizing and one of them tried for an Oscar with her performance. It was so traumatic that my boss, the Managing Partner, slid bottle of very nice wine under my desk the next day.

I really like her.

Anyway you do it, firing someone sucks big time.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit