Realization about the Adam and Eve myth

by CordyC 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CordyC
    CordyC

As I looked at the Adam and Eve story again, I realized the something is wrong with the story. Jehovah offers the pair all the fruits in the Garden of Eden save the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Bad. There's a problem though, why would there be a fruit for that if bad supposedly wasn't around at that point yet? The implication might then indicate that God knew that evil was coming and did nothing to prevent it. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that an omnipotent God didn't see what was going on in Eden at the time either. A lot of it seems to imply that God either doesn't exist or doesn't care. I am going with the former.

Could it be because Eve hadn't partaken the fruit that she had no clue the serpent was "bad" until after she ate, because the concept of bad was tied into the fruit? What an awful paradox.

CC

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Jehovah offers the pair

Are you sure? Thought it was an apple.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

You made an important step when you describe the Eden story as a myth. Keep in mind that the events did not really happen, they were part of a story created centuries after the supposed time of occurance, to explain why things were the way they were (in this case, why people have to work so hard to live, and why they grow old and die). Other stories are written to justify certain social customs, or political developments, such as the invasion of Canaan (because God said the Hebrews should take it away from the Canaanites). Further, the story is not original to the Hebrews, but (ahem) "borrowed" from existing Sumerian and Babylonian source material, with names changed to suit a Hebrew audience. For an interesting comparison, read some of the "Just So Stories" by Rudyard Kipling. They are written in the same manner, explaining how certains things became the way they are.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    There's a problem though, why would there be a fruit for that if bad supposedly wasn't around at that point yet?

Did the actions of the three players in the Garden catch God by surprise?

• loli
    loli

Great point! Also, think of this: If god and his prophets are so accurate when fortelling details of the future (grain of salt!) Wouldn't god have known all the events that would soon unfold in the garden? If Adam and Eve did not know the concept of wrong or sin(before they ate), they actually did NOTHING WRONG by partaking of the fruit. Eating of the fruit is just a metaphor. (and Satan, and hell, and possibly god for that matter) Peace - Loli

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

To paraphrase Dave: Did the seductive reasoning of a talking snake cause a naked lady to determine mankind's destiny with a piece of fruit?

Further, did it have pips?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Here is the answer: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/6243/1.ashx

steve

Farkel at his best!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    A lot of it seems to imply that God either doesn't exist or doesn't care. I am going with the former.

I concur with that. I always had difficulty taking this story literally anyway.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

If the first human pair knew the tree of life ( next to the tree of knowledge in the story) would guarantee eternal life, why had they not eaten of that already, before they sinned?

HB

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

If Adam and Eve never ate from it sooner or later SOMEONE would have come along and ate from it. The kids for sure! Then what?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit