Realization about the Adam and Eve myth

by CordyC 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    The kids for sure! Then what?

LOL....Dont the kids have all the answers anyway? at least mine seem to.

• 5go
    5go

hey, What about the gnostic view of the OT god being Satan. Satan would entrap. Not the I really belive gnostic myth's either. Better idea satan posing as god, tricks humanity into thinking it owes God (Satan) worship.

• Brigid
    Brigid

I have studied this (albeit limitedly) with rabbis. There are different schools of thought around the story (and it is allegory, make no mistake) and it is one of the most fascinating and enigmatic in the whole Torah, imho. On the surface, you simply have the history around it all--the need to villify serpent worship with all of its sexy and integrated feminine undertones that surrounded the monotheistic patriarchal Israelites.

However, my favorite explanation is this (some of it is mine, some of it from Kabbalists), that it is a story meant to "ward off" those unready to partake of the great, hidden and absolutely horrifying Mysteries. It is the fruit of knowledge of good and evil, afterall (ah, my eternal quest!).

I also think it very telling that a Woman is first approached and "seduced" by the Mysteries....the man approaches it via Her.

~B.

• watson
    watson

Maybe it is a story to show what disobedience to the "Almighty" brings. Then you give 'em the Mosaic Law...Oh yeah.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I believe God created Adam and Eve so that they would sin, not so they could sin! But, what's a Calvinist know?

• Free
    Free

I could never explain how people from Africa and say Asia came from the same two people.

It is virtually impossible to reason on that subject, because if true that would be a form of evolution would it not? The fear of death and the unknown I believe is the reason why the storytellers came up with some good ones and of course the weak being the majority bought it. Throughout history religions have hijacked others beliefs over and over again. Lets face it we do live on one cool planet, but chances are we are only to live to 70 or 80 and that is it, so accept it and move on and treat people with as much kindness that they are willing to give. In other words be kind to everybody on the ride but occasionally you need to step up and bitch slap one who needs it.

• chiddy
    chiddy

I wonder what she done with the pips? some people hate pips and some cut an apple into quarter segments to avoid the pips.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

If it had pips surely it would spread, and if it spread it would be found in places other than the middle of the garden. Oh, the possibilities...

DDog:

I believe God created Adam and Eve so that they would sin , not so they could sin! But, what's a Calvinist know?

You might need to qualify that. You're hyper-Calvinist.

Most Calvinists I know (myself included) would never state that God created man so that they "would sin", that He "created sin", or was "the author of sin".

It must be some of that dodgy USA theology raising it's head again!

• chiddy
    chiddy

if she spat the pips out they may have taken root and grown,and what about the apples dropping to the ground? and what about the animals feeding from the tree?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT

You're hyper-Calvinist.

Stick and stones You can call me all the names you want

Most Calvinists I know ( myself included ) would never state that God created man so that they " would sin",

I think we talked about this before, so you think salvation is plan B?

Most Calvinists I know ( myself included ) would never state...that He "created sin"

I don't care what most Calvinists say. Tha Bible says:

Jewish Pub So

Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am the LORD, that doeth all these things.

Hebrew Names Version

Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness; I make shalom, and create evil. I am the LORD, who does all these things.

Literal Trans. of Holy Bible

Isa 45:7 forming light, and creating darkness; making peace, and creating evil. I, Jehovah, do all these things.

1599 Geneva Bible

Isa 45:7 I forme the light and create darkenes: I make peace and create euill: I the Lord doe all these things.

Modern King James

Isa 45:7 forming the light and creating darkness; making peace and creating evil. I Jehovah do all these things .

KJV

Isa 45:7 I form 3335 the light,216 and create1254 darkness:2822 I make6213 peace,7965and create1254evil:7451 I589 the LORD3068 do6213 all3605 these428things.

evil:7451

rah,

raw-aw'

From H7489; bad or (as noun) evil(naturally or morally). This includes the second (feminine) form; as adjective or noun: - adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease (-ure), distress, evil ([-favouredness], man, thing), + exceedingly, X great, grief (-vous), harm, heavy, hurt (-ful), ill (favoured), + mark, mischief, (-vous), misery, naught (-ty), noisome, + not please, sad (-ly), sore, sorrow, trouble, vex, wicked (-ly, -ness, one), worse (-st) wretchedness, wrong. [Including feminine ra?ah; as adjective or noun.]

I would not say that God is evil for doing so!

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit