Service talk on changes at Bethel, layoffs, spirit of urgency

by truthseeker 23 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Last week an elder who has served in Bethel gave the service meeting talk, which referred to the front page of the Sep KM (which I don't yet have) on the Governing Body's letter to all publishers.

He started by saying that "drastic times call for drastic measures" - Bethel was going through periods of rapid change.

He referred to a symposium given by Brother Jaracz and Splane last December, where they tried to brush off the layoffs saying everyone had to keep "up with Jehovah's celestial chariot"

Bethelites were being reassigned to the field, and this would be difficult for them. Some in Bethel who were being reassigned had been there 20 or 30 years. They would need support from the congregation.

"Machines can make bibles and magazines, but machines can't preach. Only people can preach."

Speaker referred to scripture where it says, "Beg the master of the harvest to send out more workers."

Speaker said that at the symposium, the mood was one of urgency. "You could hear it in the brother's voices", he said.

Reference the scripture where it says, "You will by no means complete the circuit of the cities of earth until the son of man arrives."

This seemed to be an attempt to guilt us into being even more urgent, making the life-saving work more important.

My feelings are that is was a ploy to distract from the real reason Bethel is laying off people. They are short on money, and it's probably true that machines can do the work of several Bethlites. However, it seems they are manufacturing and marketing "this sense of urgency" to get people motivated.

Make no mistake - this organization is evil - behind the scenes, there are men who purposely sit down, discuss and thrash out how they can increase the numbers of publishers by motivating them with these "urgency" talks and getting them to go out with Kingdom News 37, "False Religion's End" is near.

If you've ever been in a meeting where they discuss employee performance and production, it would probably be something like that in Bethel/Patterson.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings truthseeker,

:"Machines can make bibles and magazines, but machines can't preach. Only people can preach."

I thought rocks could too if no people do. It's time to let the rocks preach. Perhaps they'd get better results, and be alot more credible & viable.

Dismembered

• sir82
    sir82

Of course there is a "sense of urgency" at Bethel!

Potential lawsuits (child abuse, blood) are waiting in the wings. The number of non-immigrant US & European publishers (the wealthiest ones) is dropping precipitously. Contributions are drying up. Elders are resigning or being removed. Armageddon didn't come according to schedule, and suddenly there are thousands of Bethelites who, after 20 or 30 years of overeating & overdrinking & living a sedentary lifestyle, are ripe for extravagantly costly medical problems like heart attacks & colon cancer.

I don't think they've ever been this nervous!

• sspo
    sspo

Speaker said that at the symposium, the mood was one of urgency. "You could hear it in the brother's voices", he said.

Reference the scripture where it says, "You will by no means complete the circuit of the cities of earth until the son of man arrives."

This seemed to be an attempt to guilt us into being even more urgent, making the life-saving work more important.

If i'm not mistaken we have heard this for the last 130 years. Nothing but movitating people to be out there thru guilt...........

"COMPLETING THE CIRCUIT of the CITY OF THE EARTH" How long will they need when 2/3 of the earth population has not been preached to.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

truthseeker,

Thanks for posting this information. You are right - this is a smokescreen to hide the real reason for the layoffs. No doubt it is money. I hope and pray that this time - when this all comes back to bite the tower in the arse, that it take out a really big chunk! Lilly

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hi Dismembered!

The Society would never wait for the rocks to talk! They want people who can recruit!

Lovellil, I think it is a smokescreen. In fact, the brother giving the talk seemed very anxious.

Sir82, have to agree with you there. I feel like they're keeping up a charade. It must be difficult working there.

• Mary
    Mary
    He referred to a symposium given by Brother Jaracz and Splane last December, where they tried to brush off the layoffs saying everyone had to keep "up with Jehovah's celestial chariot"

'Keep up with'?? Doesn't that insinuate that the Organization is experiencing extreme rapid growth that is so phenomenol, that you could barely "keep up" with it? That's what I would assume. But if meeting attendence and service is way, way, down, if there is 0% growth in developed nations, if contributions aren't what they used to be, if more and more are leaving due to the problem of "apostasy" and the internet, if Dubs are sending their children to college and university and slacking off going to the meetings, then what exactly is it that the R&F have to "keep up with"? Maybe it's referring to the big job of cutting and pasting the revisions in the Revelation Climax book.

In reality, we all know that this is yet another attempt to divert attention away from all the problems the Organization is facing: indifference, apostasy, thinking for yourself, the pedophile problem, the blood doctrine, the fact that Armageddon is nowhere in sight, contributions, taxation, bad publicity. The men at the top are not trained to deal with these kinds of problems and haven't a clue how to proceed. There is no "urgency" and they know it.

• TopHat
    TopHat
    suddenly there are thousands of Bethelites who, after 20 or 30 years of overeating & overdrinking & living a sedentary lifestyle, are ripe for extravagantly costly medical problems like heart attacks & colon cancer.

That is sad but so true....the WTS is putting the burden of their care on the congs. These men and women who gave up their life for the Watch tower are being thrown out to fend for themselves. To depend on the welfare of the very government they were told was "Satans pawn"

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

A few more notes:

The speaker said that Bethlites were already in a special position and that these were the right people to reassign to the field, where the need is greater.

Then he turns the whole issue round to address the audience (typical strawman argument) and says in light of the urgency that was felt during the symposium, what are we doing to prove that we really love Jehovah and want to carry out his commission?

A brother answered and said "we should all strive to find a way to pioneer, or if we can't, then to have the pioneer spirit."

I don't know about anyone on this board, but is the need really greater in the United States? Isn't the area just about covered?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It's pretty obvious that the religious movement known as Jehovah's Witnesses is in steep decline. They are doing everything they can do make themselves look good, but the problems are chronological and legal and won't go away.

This organization wasn't designed to last this long according to the current mindset and belief. Armaggedon was supposed to have come by at least the year 2000, and now it's old, decrepit and tiring out.

It's members are tiring out and are caring less and less about Jehovah's Organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit