In respect to headcovering, can you get away with a sheet of toilet paper??

by Gill 44 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I have only seen JW women cover when a man was present that was a JW. I think it is a further disrespect on the rest of society that they only feel that JW men are Christian enough to bother covering for. Dis the minister, the priest, the guy next door who is with them while they pray. Like JW men are sacred in a way that others aren't? And frankly, most JW women I knew were more faithful, loving and Christlike in the way they treated others than ANY jw man. The headcovering thing is totally abused if they were trying to do it in a biblical sense in any case. There are groups that practice headcovering for women and they actually use proper headcoverings in a respectful way to the WOMEN. Throwing a kleenex(tm) on your head(I have seen it done) is SO demeaning to a woman! I frankly think that the Muslim way of headcovering(as a modesty thing) or other groups(headship) treats the woman MUCH better. That being said, my hair is cut and uncovered. And I will only wear a hat to keep the weather off my head, not to protect angels or keep a man feeling superior for having his penis. Really, that is what its all about, right?

• Gill
    Gill

JWdaughter

First we had 'Penis Envy' then we get 'Penis Respect!' Whatever next?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

­­* Must consecrated women who participate in congregational meetings have their heads covered??Reader in California.

After stating that the head of the woman is man, the head of man is Christ, and the head of Christ is God, Paul writes: "Every woman that prays or prophesies with her head unveiled shames the one who is her head." (1 Cor. 11:3-10, NW) Commenting on this, the book "This Means Everlasting Life" states: "In the apostle's day, and especially there in the scandalously immoral city of ancient Corinth, it was the custom for respectable women to go veiled in public. For a woman to go otherwise to public assemblies was to brand her a woman of low moral standards and easy virtue. . . . In these modern times or in lands where custom does not require women of the community to go veiled as a sign of respectability, Christian decency does not require the woman to comply with that ancient custom for the sake of the faith and organization. . . . But regardless of popular custom, if a woman today should rise in a congregation and pray or prophesy to the believing men and women present, she should veil her head or have a 'sign of authority upon her head because of the angels'." (Pages 161, 162) Hence if a Theocratic assignment requires a woman to pray at or to conduct a Bible study meeting she should wear a sign of authority while so performing, to show recognition of the Theocratic headship of the man and 'because of the angels'. However, no head covering is necessary when she participates by merely answering questions put to the audience or relating experiences or serving in demonstrations.

- The WATCHTOWER 1 SEP 1950, page 303, "Questions From Readers"

There are few things angels like more than a stylish head covering.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve seen Kleenex used,as a kid...OUTLAW

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    However, not many women look even remotely sexy with a tea towel, handkerchief or other such mentioned items in this thread!!!

Maybe this can be one of the partygames at Dansk's Manchester Apostacurry - to see which of the ladies can carry off this JW look? The hot hand towels after the curry can be used!

What could we get the men to do though to even things out?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I have seen an unused disposable diaper, as well as toilet tissue used. 2 peices, kinda like a ""cross" covering her head. I laughed so hard during the prayer, I got elbowed by my mom!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Rabbit trail: We call them tea towels here in Canada, too. What is a kitchen towel?

• Mary
    Mary
    In these modern times or in lands where custom does not require women of the community to go veiled as a sign of respectability, Christian decency does not require the woman to comply with that ancient customfor the sake of the faith and organization. . . . But regardless of popular custom, if a woman today should rise in a congregation and pray or prophesy to the believing men and women present, she should veil her head or have a 'sign of authority upon her head because of the angels'."

This is so ridiculous, it's almost laughable. On one hand they're saying that it was simply an ancient custom for a woman to have to wear a veil and that Christians aren't obligated today to do that. But in the very next sentence, it's saying that a Christian woman should wear a veil on her head, even though it's no longer a custom, because apparently the angels have nothing else to worry about. Gives new meaning to the term "Double talk".

• Gill
    Gill

As if angels gave a #%&!

Sounds like some sort of 'showy display' to me.

The women who are veiled in our area (non JW of course) especially the young ones seem to make it some kind of 'showy display' thing to be fully veiled, and have combat trousers visible, army boots and an arrogant attitude to other shoppers! They are sort of saying : 'Get out of my way! I may be a cool, hip hop, beep bop terrorist!'

It's a statement thing.

In JW land it can mean two things:

1) I am a subservient Jehooober worshipping lowly female, or/

2) I've got this bloody kleenex on my head because I basically don't give a &%$# what you lot think, and you can kiss my ass! It's a kleenex, and a used one at that because there is NO WAY I'm wearing any crap burka representation. You men/angels .....see this! Kiss it!!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    What is a kitchen towel?

(whisphers to jgnat: over here it is a roll of thick paper, often decorated with chintzy seasonal touches, for soaking up spillages on the kitchen and then disposing of? What do you call that?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit