In respect to headcovering, can you get away with a sheet of toilet paper??

by Gill 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Whose idea was it anywhere and is there any mention of it in any Awake or Bodgetower?

The idea, that women when taking the lead in anyway or praying should have something on their head as a sign of respect suddenly struck me as a sign of total disrespect!

I understand a woman may put anything on her head as a sign of respect to her superior male colleagues, including a used Kleenex....I've seen it so don't doubt it!!

So, I wondered if the item used was specified by the wonderful FDS!

If the 'male' in question is a little boy just out of nappies and dunked at the last assembly can you get away with a used Kleenex or would it be better to have a handkerchief....after all he is a small lad.

If the DO has laryngitis, and his wife has to take the prayer at meal times, does she need a Gucci head scarf or will the nearest napkin with no drool or slobber on it do?

If the 'male' in question is a recently reproved young man, can you get away with a sheet of toilet paper as a head covering....unused of course?

Anyone know what the stipulations are?

• mama1119
    mama1119

What about gum wrappers? When are those appopriate to use?

• Gill
    Gill

Gum wrappers sound appropriately (dis)respectful!!!

• Mary
    Mary

What about a single Post-It ? With the one end being sticky, the spiritually-minded sister could pray for her many sins without the problem of it falling off.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Gill, I found this:

Our Kingdom Ministry, September 2001 Issue, Page 3:

Qualified baptized brothers should be assigned in advance to conduct each meeting for service. If none are available to take the lead on a particular day, the elders should designate which baptized sisters can do so when the need arises. While remaining seated, the sister may initiate a group discussion of the day?s text or other points relative to the field service, keeping her remarks brief. She would wear a head covering.

It doesn't say what the head covering should be though, so a shhet of toilet paper must be ok, though I don't think some dubs would see it that way.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Toilet paper is fine as long as it's not been used.

Pope

• blondie
    blondie

I would say that the woman in question was in a passive-aggressive way showing how she really felt about it.

Not even the appearance, let alone the substance.

Blondie

• juni
    juni

OH MY GOD BLONDIE!!! SEE I TOLD YOU YOU WAS FUNNY!

WE WERE TOLD THAT THE HEADCOVERING SHOULD BE APPROPRIATE. BUT IN A PINCH - WHAT THE HELL?

MARY - A POST-IT IS A GREAT IDEA W/THAT STICKY!!

THERE WERE SOME SISTERS WHO CARRIED A 'PROPER' HEAD COVERING IN THEIR PURSES AT ALL TIMES FOR AN EMERGENCY. SO YOU COULD USUALLY COUNT ON THIS SISTER TO PULL OUT HER VEIL-THINGY (WHAT THE CATHOLIC WOMEN USED TO WEAR ON THEIR HEADS FOR CHURCH - NOT A HAT) I THINK IT BEGINS WITH THE LETTER 'M'.

JUNI (A BAD GIRL WHO USED TISSUES - NOT USED)

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

This was a huge issue in the hall I went to because initially there were no guys out during the week. So the women had to run the thing. They never had a "proper" head cover according to the elders. So the elders went out and bought a hat for the hall, that way the women could always have a back up.

But then several years later a 9 year old kid got bpt'd and was going out in FS during the week (yes he was home schooled). The problem was that not only was he just a baby but he was a little slow on top of it all. When a close family friend, a women who was in her 60's and had been a JW her entire life felt that the FS arrangement was becoming a fiasco, she took it away from little boy and all HELL broke lose. In the end when the CO came to visit there was a talk about the Jezebel influence blah, blah, blah. In the end, all it did was cause people to make their own arrangements and never go to the Hall because these women were not going to have some little boy who was barely able to find his way back from the bath room, tell them what they should do while they were out knocking on doors.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

In our household the hair must be covered as much as possible. So a tea towel was fine.

I do remember one funny scene from when I was little. Dad was home from work late and mum was saying one of those food chilling prayers before dinner when Dad walked in. Peeping between my lashes I observed him flinging a tea towel at her head whilst she prayed.

Can that really have happened!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit