In respect to headcovering, can you get away with a sheet of toilet paper??

by Gill 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

My Mom always carried a linen handkerchief in her purse. It was neatly folded and had small embroidered flowers on one corner.

Mary, do the women have to remain seated so the post-it note doesn't sail off their hair? Haha.

Funny story, Crumpet. What's a tea towel, is it what we Yanks call a kitchen towel?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Funny story, Crumpet. What's a tea towel, is it what we Yanks call a kitchen towel?

Yes pretty much! What you dry dishes with after they are washed!

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    I do remember one funny scene from when I was little. Dad was home from work late and mum was saying one of those food chilling prayers before dinner when Dad walked in. Peeping between my lashes I observed him flinging a tea towel at her head whilst she prayed.

So let's see here: it's disrespectful to not be wearing a head covering if you are a woman, but it's TOTALLY respectful to fling a towel at the woman in question's HEAD if she is not respecting you properly???? Crazy.

• Mary
    Mary
    Mary, do the women have to remain seated so the post-it note doesn't sail off their hair? Haha.

Heavens no!!....that's the beauty of a Post It.....it sticks to your hair so there's none of those embarassing moments when it could slide off, thus incurring Jehovah's wrath against the anti-typical Jonedab class.

Personally, I think they should keep a proper head covering like this at the Hall for those distressing times when the bros just aren't there!!

• Gill
    Gill

Mary - Post it Notes! You're a genius! Perhaps you should email Crooklyn and suggest it!

Linda - I bet there's a fistful of KM with those 'very help headcovering suggestions' somewhere!

The sheer lunacy of it makes me laugh! Why not a burka for all emergencies?

My husbands grandmother used to put a napkin on her head even though she'd got a wardrobe full of hats and scarves. I think women are taking the piss out of the head covering suggestion, myself. Cheeky girls!

I had gone for dinner at my mums with my two non JW boys who are 14. She insisted on putting a bright purple chiffon 'thing' on head to pray over dinner.

I said: 'MUM! What the hell are you doing?!"

She said 'You may not have any respect for god's arrangements but I do!'

Not with that bloody purple thing on your head you don't, I thought to myself.

I said, 'The boys aren't JW!"

She replied 'Yes, but I'm showing respect to the angels who are above me and God.' She was so smug I was tempted to knock the bloody headscarf off her head and go set fire to it in the garden....but I didn't!

I sat during her loooooong prayer snarling at her and trying to stop the boys laughing out loud at the whole fiasco!

Somebody save us from JW parents!!!!! Especially the extra stupid ones!

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

I remember being at a meeting for field service once, and there were no brothers. And noone had a handkerchief or anything....so they used a magazine. I remember the sister had to hold the magazine on her head with one hand the whole time so it wouldn't fall off.

~luv, jojo

• RR
    RR

I've only been privy to this a handful of times among the JW's. A sisiter taking the lead in field service, or conducting a Bible Study with a baptized brother present.

Sisters among the Bible Students also wear headcoverings, among other groups!

RR

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

My mom used a napkin one. Although it was clean, I don't think it was of the sanitary variety.

The reason is "because of the angels". Apparently, the angels get pissed off if a woman prays without having something, anything, on her head.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i saw someone use a pair of y-fronts once, it kinda made my day

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

My mom used a napkin one. Although it was clean, I don't think it was of the sanitary variety.

The reason is "because of the angels". Apparently, the angels get pissed off if a woman prays without having something, anything, on her head.

What a silly requirement. One time I went on a BS with an older pioneer sister. She was concerned about having a head covering. I didn't really know the rule, or care, at the time. Just to be on the safe side, she asked the householders if they had any hats or scarves. They didn't have anything. All she did was ask me to pray, and she conducted the whole thing, head uncovered. Believe it or not, she was not struck dead!! The angels were sleeping, I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit