The reason behind shunning

by JH 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

When you think about it, when the elders disfellowship and then shun a person, it's to make an impact on the ACTIVE ones still going to the meetings, rather than the DF'd one.

They elders couldn't care less about the one who has been disfellowshipped. That person is dead to their eyes.

The reason they make this so terrible, is a warning to the ones still active, not to try this.

Some kind of blackmail, intended to the active ones.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Once a JW realises the real reason behind shunning it is only a matter of time before they do one of a few things:

They start researching the Watchtower Society.

They shut their minds and hearts, join their 'brothers' and 'sisters' and unitedly make a stand for their god... the "Faithful Slave."

• Dansk
    Dansk

The reason behind shunning is power! Watchtower is frightened to death of losing its power and so exerts it through fear - and shunning is one such tool. Once people realise this there's no going back. Judging by the number of newbies coming here, which includes people who have spent decades in the cult, Watchtower's power is severely eroded with people becoming less and less fearful.

Ian

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

It is to instill fear into the R & F, for sure but also protects them from learning the truth as the DF one questions outside of the box, and never can they allow their secrets to be discovered!

CS 101

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    The reason behind shunning is power! Watchtower is frightened to death of losing its power and so exerts it through fear - and shunning is one such tool

That's exactly right Ian. It's used as a weapon to threaten those thinking of leaving..."you leave, and this is what we do to you". I know that's what keeps more than a few in, especially those who have family in the wts, and have known nothing else their entire life.

Judging by the number of people leaving, it's not working as efficiently as it used to nowadays.

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

Has anyone ever done a "point by point" critique of the "official stance" on shunning as it is outlined here: http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/1988/4/15/article_01.htm

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    Judging by the number of people leaving, it's not working as efficiently as it used to nowadays.

Do you know how many people may have stayed in, if they would change that rule? Show love and encourgagement to those who are dfed? Back when I was 18, I probably would have kept going.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JWs don't just shun somebody who is disfellowshipped, they also selectively "shun" persons who they don't approve of for some particular reason. The shunning is just to a lesser degree than if the person were actually disfellowshipped. Some years ago I knew of a divorced sister struggling with children who was shunned and treated badly by the wonderful christians in her congregation because she was "seeing" a worldly man. It wasn't immorality but just friendship. Once they found out about this, they treated her like the plague and gave her the Scarlet Letter treatment. I also had a situation some years ago where somebody shunned me or tried to ignore me. I knew exactly why but I had no intention of feeding into the JW mentality of going up to them and asking why. Quite frankly, I didn't care. I just carried on as usual. If this is supposed to be about control, it didn't work on me. Who the hell do these egotistical morons think they are? JWs couldn't care less about your existence, just as long as you are following their ridiculous rules and regulations. LHG

• juni
    juni

Hi JH,

Did your sunburn get better? From the Apostafest pics you looked very burnt.

Hi Ian!

Happy to see you are doing so well. That's wonderful!

I agree. Shunning (they say) is supposed to make the person realize what they are missing and want to turn around and repent. So unlike the parable of the prodigal son though. With this organization a person coming back has to jump through many hoops and they are under the microscope for months or year or maybe longer depending how regular they are at mtg. attendance. It keeps them at their mercy and keeps the fear tactic alive.

Also there are those that do come back who have never righted their wrong, but continue on with a bad heart and have a smug attitude. And if this individual is "popular" w/the elders, are treated differently. The "victims" and their families continue to feel the pain and the effects that has been brought upon them while this individual carries on in good standing and has the accolade of the congregation.

Juni

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The shunning began (again) because of the Watchtowers fear of apostates in the early 80's. It's all about their control of the flock. Amazing how in the 70's they could say that such an arrangement is against the basic principles of christianty and then years later demand such obediance from their followers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit