The reason behind shunning

by JH 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

I agree with the comments here very mind controlling

Hi Drew, I was unaware of a change on stance with this point is it written down anywhere

Thanks

BM

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Buttlight,

Do you know how many people may have stayed in, if they would change that rule?

You know, I've never really given that side of it much thought. I always hated the idea of shunning someone I'd known for years, and not making them feel welcome at the hall. I went along with the not speaking part, but would try to give them a quick smile when the opportunity presented itself. It's more than cruel to ostracise someone you like and may even love because they made a mistake, it's inhuman in my book, but I can't see the wts abandoning the "principle" any time soon, unfortunately.

I can only speak from a local perspective, but it seems that people are less intimidated by the shunning rule these days, and some are leaving despite having almost their whole family in the jws, knowing full well how they will be treated by loved ones still in the org.

Linda

• xjwms
    xjwms

As the wt says:

Its a loving provision

• dissnchntd1
    dissnchntd1

yes the lesser shunning referred to here is known as "marking", i swear that this was done to me simply because i dared to wear pants to the kh. (i`m female) the odd thing was, i was counselled on this and told, that it was not proper for sisters to wear pants to the kh. um well.................if its not "proper" at the kh then surely it isnt proper to wear them anywhere for any sister at any time? Fact is the wearing of pants for sisters is NOT unscriptural, its just another of their "commands of men". so pathetic! Glad i`m out it.........i drifted into oblivion...........and it feels soooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooood! much love to all you fellow spiritually abused people, for that is truly what we are. dissnchntd1

• juni
    juni

Drew said:

Amazing how in the 70's they could say that such an arrangement is against the basic principles of christianty and then years later demand such obediance from their followers

Where did you hear that Drew? I was there in the ' 70s and they had the shunning practice. It was alive and well.

Juni

• juni
    juni

Welcome Disenchanted!

You bad person for wearing pants!! Off with your head.

It's all such a bunch of crapola. Good that you got on w/your life.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Juni

• Balsam
    Balsam

Disfellowshipped JW's are considered infected with worldly thinking (doubts about the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses) thus dangerous for the active JW's to talk too. They could infect active ones and cause them to have doubts, and then they would stop preaching, donating money & going to meetings.

It's a little like being viewed as having the ebola infection. LOL

Welcome dissnchntd1Glad to have you here with us.

Does feel great to be out from under the rules don't it. My elderly Mother and I went out in the door to door work in a pant in the winter time 1975 and I even had her attend meetings in pants because she got so cold. Not a single elder said anything but then my then husband was an Elder at the time. My mother was elderly and it was just plain silly making her where dresses in the cold of winter. I always thought it was totally stupid making us sisters wear dressed and I hated it. I used to say to the men how about taking your pants off and try walking around out in the darn cold with your family jewels getting frost bitten. They were a little afraid of me then. LOL

• dissnchntd1
    dissnchntd1

hi Juni yeah after the marking i got really peeved and wore a suit and tie, did they hate that lol. BUT.............it was a good exercise as it showed me just who in the cong had unconditional love, there were more than io expected. i`m still in contact with some too, those who are also asking questions of the validity of some of the rules and regulations. bottom line i serve God n Christ not some man made organization, and i don`t need the kh for that. i even felt a bit sorry for the elders in the end, they have no idea how to cope with a strong woman. lol. much love dissnchntd1

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

In my case shunning was done for one huge reason

They didn't want anyone to know that an elder was abusing his wife and children.

One of my uncles who was DFed for apostacy was a "danger to the flock" and had to be neutralized. It just wouldn't do to have him telling other people what he had discovered

So much information control - a battle they can no longer win

• juni
    juni

Good analogy Balsam. I was thinking exactly the same thing about ebola!!! Great minds think a like.

Juni

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit