Thoughts On Holidays...

by Sunspot 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

We are all somewhat painfully aware of how the Watchtower Society views celebrating "normal" Holidays that most other religions "normally" celebrate.

For those of you that were JWs and did not participate in these Holidays,

do you celebrate them now?

Can you tell us if your family has any certain traditions they share in or special ways of enjoying the Holiday festivities?

Did "not celebrating" them according to the WTS wishes have an effect on your family? On you?

Has the practice of shunning by other JWs had any impact on how you do or do not ceebrate any Holidays?

Are any of you like me (a big 65 year-old kid)....and are you now just thoroughly enjoying being "allowed" now to "get into" the Holidays?

Any other thoughts I may not have touched on?

Anyone care to share this with us?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I managed to celebrate last Christmas, but it seemed very strange to be doing so, I'd only been da'd for about 10 weeks, and I sort of enjoyed it, but I think this year will be a lot better.

I enjoyed my birthday celebration, the first I'd celebrated since I was 21, a lot more, having been out a bit longer when that came around in April.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I ALWAYS wanted to celebrate holidays and birthdays. I was very envious of my cousins, growing up, because they got to spend holidays with my Grandparents. I know it had a big affect on my Mom not celebrating anymore, it was very hard on her the first couple of years she said. But, i do celebrate most now, and it is beginning to feel more normal. It was odd feeling at first, because I didn;t really know what I was doing, but I am glad my daughter will have memories.

• delilah
    delilah

Hi Sunspot. I do celebrate every holiday, but Christmas is my all time favorite. I love the decorating, the lights and the music. I never felt strange celebrating it, I think because I remember celebrating the holidays before we became witnesses.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

I make up my own holidays...

Instead of getting in the chrismas spirit.... I get inthe Reggae spirit (1st week of Aug.)

Thanksgiving... Well it usually falls the day before/of/after my birthday, So Whateva'

Easter... Well we got a holiday for that too.. 420, 4:20, or 4/20... but then it's always 4:20 somewhere

and so on...

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi sunspot? How are you?

I celebrate all the holidays but Halloween. Although I may give out candy this year to my nieghbors kids. I am still trying to decide. I do xmas but without the tree and Santa. I keep in purely centered on Christ. Although we know he was not exactly born that month, I don't see any reason why I cannot observe his birth and thank God for sending him, any day I wish. I love thanksgiving as I have plenty to be thankful for, especially since leaving the WT cult.

And I love doing my kids birthdays now and seeing their happy smiling faces as they enjoy a party with friends on their special day. I am just glad I left the tower in time to have birthdays where my kids were still little.

I try to follow the guide of the Apostle Paul regarding the days you celebrate and how they are a conscience matter. It is is the book of Romans chapter 14. Any day I do celebrate I do it "as to the Lord" and enjoy myself without going against my conscience in anything. Lilly

• achickwwit
    achickwwit

Holidays are PURELY secular for me. There are no religious rituals or ties that come into play for any of them. My favorite two are Christmas and birthdays (I lump this in under "holiday"). We do the lights, tree, etc. for Christmas, though this year will be my first to celebrate with my little boy (he'll be one then). So Santa will start being introduced, I think. I don't think I'll ever con my child into thinking Santa is real or anything, but I want my son to have the most traditional American Christmas experience I can create. I want the complete opposite from my December 25ths.

Halloween is something I've never cared to celebrate, simply because I like to avoid the fuss of dressing up, etc. But, with my son, I think it will become one of my favorite holidays.

The only one I'll probably never fully celebrate is Easter. An egg hunt for my son, maybe, but I'll never go to church that day or do anything unusual.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

oops, my mistake. I forgot that I don't do Easter either at least not with the eggs and bunny. My kids are older anyway. But I did attend a church to hear a talk on the resurrection of Jesus. Lilly

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

Oh yeah... holloween it the exception....

alt

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

I loove Thanksgiving. Time with friends, wine and food...and a good polker game.
    New Years is just fun-I like the bubbles./St. Pat's Day for the Jameson./Halloween because it's Satan's day. ha.
    X-mas and Easter are for my kids.
    Other than that I don't really get too excited over the other ones. It was weird at first, especially the first xmas tree. But now I am damn near professional.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit