How much truth is there within the Watchtower Society?

by The wanderer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

How much truth within the organization?

Often times, having spent so many years as being one of Jehovah's
    Witnesses, the question crosses my mind, "How much truth was
    there within the organization"?

The religious holidays

The Watchtower was correct regarding the history of the popular
    holidays such as Christmas, Halloween, and Valentine's Day.
    However, it leads us to the next question, what else were
    they correct about?

Objective outlook

These questions that are raised within this discussion thread are
    not designed to provoke or arouse any negative sentiments. We
    are all fully aware of what the Watchtower Corporation is all about;
    these are just questions that have crossed my mind from time to
    time.

Please share your opinion or point of view regarding this discussion.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Badger
    Badger

They're a stricter, less social, more dogmatic offshoot of seventh-day adventists. That should help answer (if you know much about the 7DA)

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

They were right in saying that Religion is a Snare and a Racket. Hell, they perfected it. They stress not to "trust in Nobles nor the son of earthling man to whom no salvation belongs..... He dies and ceases..." paraphrase there. This I believe a is very important truth.

W.Once

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

One poster on this board put it perfectly.."Do you really want to eat a bucket of shit,for a few kernels of corn?"..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• blondie
    blondie
    One poster on this board put it perfectly.."Do you really want to eat a bucket of shit,for a few kernels of corn?"..

I was trying to think of an appropriate analogy....I think this is it!

Blondie

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    One poster on this board put it perfectly.."Do you really want to eat a bucket of shit,for a few kernels of corn?"..

That's perfect Outlaw, no one could say it better.

One thing they were right about though, there are a lot of false prophets around, and they are the foremost ones.

• greven
    greven

Hey Wanderer,

Let me first say that the question you raise is an interesting but non-focussed one.

Let me illustrate:

Often times, having spent so many years as being one of Jehovah's
    Witnesses, the question crosses my mind, "How much truth was
    there within the organization"?

This question can only be a meaningful one if it is clear what is meant by 'truth'.

The Watchtower was correct regarding the history of the popular
    holidays such as Christmas, Halloween, and Valentine's Day.
    However, it leads us to the next question, what else were
    they correct about?

Well, any encyclopedia could have revealed you the origion of the popular holidays. I can imagine then, that the watchtower contains truckloads full of such 'truths'. The claim that the earth revolves around the sun is another one for instance. What you seem to mean by 'truth' is factual information. This is not a meaningful definition. They can't go without at least some factual information. I think the interpretation of that information is more to the point. I agree, for instance, that the holidays have pagan origins, what this means or should mean for our current behaviour is where I and the WT part ways (or at least in some WT's in others they advocate the contrary position but that's beside the point).

Respectfully,

Greven

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

wanderer,

while the WT told the truth about the pagan origin of holidays, they did not tell the truth about how Christian should view things as pagan. Just because it is "pagan" does not mean it is bad to participate in. The origin or how and why people celebrated days in the past has nothing to do with how and why they do it today. For instance at one time there may have been mother worship but no one observing mothers day today is actually worshiping their mother. They are simply showing her honor and this is scriptural.

You cannot remove all things pagan from society. If you wanted to try you could not use our calender for the days of the week and names of months are pagan. Also many JWs wear wedding rings and that is pagan also. The thing that changed when Christ came is that it was "in your heart" what mattered and nothing more. If you knew you were celebrating days for the enjoyment of being with family or honoring your parents and not for worshiping false Gods as you kept your heart pure, you could celebrate any day you wished.

The Apostle Paul makes this clear in Romans 14 starting in verse 5 that these are conscience matters. So I will have to disagree at least partly with your statement that the WT had the proper view of holidays.

Also, it depends on how you define truth. They have some teachings in common with other Christian denominations but much of it if you check the record and go back to accounts of historical Christianity and what Jesus and the Apostles actually taught, you will see that the WT is guilty most of the time of deveating from what is simple in the scripture. But to them that is truth, truth is subjective. Is it their truth we are talking about or the truth as most Christians believe? Lilly

• Honesty
    Honesty
    How much truth is there within the Watchtower Society?

Just enough to seduce people away from Jesus.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Truth is where you find it. It is everywhere. You have to sift for as for gold.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit