How much truth is there within the Watchtower Society?

by The wanderer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

The WTS does whatever it must to keep its followers in line and selling as many magazines as possible -- truth is subordinate to this goal.
    lovelylil: ***You cannot remove all things pagan from society. If you wanted to try you could not use our calender for the days of the week and names of months are pagan.***
    Not only would it be impossible to remove all things pagan, I think it would not be amiss to acknowledge some of the positive legacies we've received from ancient pagan societies (e.g. Greeks and Romans). The word "pagan" is not equivalent to "evil."

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

SEPTEMBER 15,1970 PAGE 575 "QUESTIONS FROM READERS" SOMEONE ASK IF IT WAS PROPER FOR CHRISTIANS TO SEND FLOWERS TO A FUNERAL OR TO LAY FLOWERS ON A GRAVE? THE ANSWER WAS "FLOWERS SENT WITH THE RIGHT MOTIVE WITHOUT THE PAGAN BELIEF AS A BACKGROUND, ARE NOT OBJECTIONABLE."

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Look up the word "supplant" and this is more accurate to what Christendom did with the pagan holidays. Christmas is perfect because it was three days death, then rising again, which, um, is similar to what Christians believe about Jesus :)

of course rabbits and eggs and britney spears are all symbols of fertility

The only time I can imagine the watchtower making an honest proclamation is when they finally admit its all been a lie kids.

They are not right on any of their "specialized" doctrines. Poorly reasoned, thought out and researched, or just plain looney.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Since religion is a product of our imagination, or usually someone else's, how can we determine what is true? If we try to use the bible it is so vague on so many ideas, who knows what it really is saying? (Try Revelation as an example)

I guess the WT Society is about as "true" as any religious group.

You are born, live an undetermined amount of time and die. That is about as true as you can get. What happens during your life is a combination of your actions and whatever else comes your way.

Ken P.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere
    I guess the WT society is about as "true" as any religious group.

undecided, I agree but what makes the WT so bad is, it is a cult. You can't get out of a cult alive. The WT will kill you [spirtually] if you disagree with them and label you an apostate so your own family and those who you thought were your friends will view you as tho you don't even exist.

• fokyc
    fokyc

The Crowd at Mill Hill Bethel (U.K.) might be reasonably honest But my wife's local congregational elders are the most blatant liars that I have met in 73 years on this planet.

They can lie when answering items in the KH and in talks, I wonder if they are taught lying at the Elder's schools?

Fokyc

• girasole
    girasole

I do not remember much of what was presented in the book they use to try and bridge science and creation (I can't even remember the name of the book) but I wondered how many of the angles presented there are true. I remember that the book is pretty simplistic and many of the conclusions are ever-changing so I'm sure that they are not regularly reprinting the book to keep up with the times. I remember that when we were studying that book in the book study that someone who was majoring in a science-related field ( I lived in a university town) came to two meetings and made a number of comments and posed critical questions that left the BS conductors speechless. Of course, after the meeting they tried to leave all that behind and just blind him with kindness. It didn't work though. He came back one more time and then never again. I recently threw away the last of my witness books but I wish I had kept that one just so that I could compare what is presented with what is widely accepted and taught. Along the lines with what fokyc was saying I've often wondered if the elders realize that they are duping people. My husband who was never a witness thinks that they know exactly what they are doing at all levels - and I do agree that there are o doubt many conscious abuses of power in every congregation but I tend to think that it's the GB who knows exactly what they are doing and that the elders are just their tools and most of them are duped as well. girasole

• moshe
    moshe

Jw's are always quick to tell how John the Baptist got his head cut of for a birthday party. One of several reasons given by them why Christians should not celebrate birthdays. I would ask JW's had it beeen a wedding feast instead of a birthday celebration would they in turn ban wedding parties as unchristian?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit