Possible new (furry) addition to our family .......

by Alana 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Alana
    Alana

Well, as I posted in July, one of my doggies got ill and passed on over the

Well, last Friday morning Gunner went outside and I could tell he was on a mission and smelled something out there. He went to the back of the house and there he was ‘herding’ a sad looking collie to our back door. She was hungry, thirsty, smelly, and her hair was full of mats and burrs. I called in to work and took a vacation day (fortunately my boss is a true dog lover, so she didn’t have a problem with me staying home to see about this dog).

After the Vet said she didn’t have fleas, mites, mange, or anything else like that, I took her to my mother-in-law’s and we spent the afternoon cutting, shaving, washing, and grooming her hair. The Vet reported to the proper authorities that a lost dog was found and there was no dog like her reported missing at that time. We posted a notice at our local village gas station that we found a dog (BUT, they have to describe it to claim it). So far, no one has called about a missing collie, so hopefully we have a new addition to the family.

She definitely was in a house before. She is housebroken. She can sit, lay down, and come here on command. She is adorable. But, I can tell she is still feeling somewhat lost. For her sake, I hope she can find her family again. But if not, we welcome her with open arms….and an open box of doggie treats! LOL

Here is her picture……we are calling her Sophie. The white dog is Gunner, the finder of the lost one.

I just had to share --

~ "Alana"

• sandy
    sandy

So Sweet! I love all animals but especially dogs. I'm so happy for your new dog and you and your family!

• juni
    juni

Hi Alana.

That makes 2 lost dog stories today. Did you read whyizit's post? She's looking for help w/a name.

Gunner looks exactly like my daughter's shepherd who I am dog watching along w/ my dog while they are camping.

That is a sweet story. How long do you have to wait? I know Humane Societies have a legal amount of time for an animal to be claimed before they are put up for adoption.

She looks like a sweetheart. Our first dog, Buffy, was just like that. She was housebroken, etc. etc. very intelligent and kind. Lived until she was 14. Her only fear were horses. If a horse trotted down the road she hid under the desk all day.

Keep us up to date, o.k? We hope for the best and please check out the owners if they do call so there's no chance that she's going back to an abusive situation.

Juni

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Congradulations. Beautiful dogs! After I left the troof in 83 I became one of those evil people they talked about at the meetings who love animals more than people. My wife and I have 4 cocker spaniels and 2 cats.

• earthtone
    earthtone

What a cutie pies you have! I love dogs. Which is funny because I wasn't an animal lover until I got my own dog. lol

• restrangled
    restrangled

What sweet looking dogs! I hope you are able to keep her. Chances are she was probably abandoned.

I am always so glad when I hear that someone cares for a stray.

I have taken care of 2 stray cats for several years, one had to be put down, (diabetes) and the other another neighbor took over after I adopted 2 Dobermans.

What amazed me was to find out that the owner of the cats had moved, just a block down but dumped the cats.

(the kids in the family "fessed" up)

Good luck!

r.

• WTFBBQPWNT
    WTFBBQPWNT

Those dogs look awesome. I wish I had me a nice, faithful dog that didn't poo everywhere.

• Alana
    Alana

Juni:

My daughter asked me if there a deadline for getting to keep the dog. She said that with money people have so many days to claim it or the finder gets to keep it…..and certainly a dog was worth more than money. J I told her that it wasn’t the same with pets and then she understood when I put it into perspective, with the example of Gunner and how she would want him back no matter how long it had been. My daughter also asked if we had to give her back if we didn’t think the owners were nice. I told her that we did, unless it was a situation of abuse…and then we’d probably have to go to court or something.

At first my husband wasn’t too hip on keeping her…..he didn’t have a problem with me getting her checked out and cleaned up, but thought we would just take her to the Humane Society. Well, he told me last night that he got a call yesterday about our flier regarding the found dog……he had me worried……until he said it was someone who lost a male black lab. Whew! He then said that his heart sunk when the caller said he was calling about the flier. So, Sophie’s got him hooked now, too.

So your daughter’s dog is white German Shepherd, too? Cool. Until we got Gunner (we rescued him from an abusive situation) I didn’t even know all white German Shepherds even existed. Since then, I have met several people who have had one.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

She's lovely Alana. If you do get to keep her, I know she will have a good home with you.

Dogs are such good company, we wouldn't like to without ours now.

• Alana
    Alana

Fullofdoubtnow,

What a sweetheart.....a Boxer, right? what's your dog's name?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit