Did your Kingdom hall ever cancel meetings?

by moshe 33 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

The general policy is never to cancel a meeting - they are far too important.
    As far as quick builds are concerned, we used to do the 2/3 day builds and have the first meeting on the Sunday night. Then they found that more speed did mean good quality so things were slowed down. Even so, we always had to endure a Watchtower 'summary', often sat on the roof bored stiff.
    Eyeslice

• juni
    juni

Once when there was an outbreak of cholera and dysentery.

Juni

• done4good
    done4good

1. If we lost power.

2. If it snowed bad enough.

j

• south african beef
    south african beef

I agree whole heartedly with Solo.

Quite often (especially when I was the on who arranged the public talks!) the speaker didn't turn up.

Then we had the watchtower study first, then a local elder would stand in and give a talk.

It usually ended up being the same elder time after time giving it and because he hadn't had any practice and it ended up being sooooo boring!

Also as Solo said, when the Watchtower had finised your brain would tell you that it was time to go - then you had this horrible sinking feeling when you realised that you had a whole public talk to sit through. Also the stand in sometimes went overtime because he hadn't practised - a double whammy!!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The hall that I went to in Cleveland would cancel meetings when there was a blizzard.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

When the scheduled speaker cancels we are directed to assemble at the KH where we have the ministry school. It's about an hour and a half away.

• moshe
    moshe

Also the stand in sometimes went overtime because he hadn't practised - a double whammy!!

What a waste those impromtu talks were. Usually a brother pulled out his favorite talk outline that he had done 10 times in the past year- which made it the third time for us to sit through it. What a pain it was for the kids to sit through the talk after the WT study when they did that.

• Jourles
    Jourles

We were pretty hardcore up in Silverthorne, CO. Roughly a 1/4 of the hall lived over in Breckenridge/Frisco and the rest were in Silverthorne/Dillon. During really bad snowstorms, the meeting would go on. There were three ways to get to the hall from Breckenridge(where we lived). You could go over Swan Mountain Rd. which dumped you out near Dillon, or you could go through Frisco and take I70 or the Dam Rd. The Dam Rd. always closed first. Swan Mt closed next and then finally the freeway. If you couldn't make it by any of the above routes, you stayed home - you didn't have a choice. The rest of the congo had the meeting.

I recall one night in particular where I was giving a talk in the 2nd school. I already happened to be in Silverthorne before the meeting started. Well, we had one of those storms and virtually no one showed up. We might have had 15-20 people all together make it out of nearly 100. I was praying that they would cancel the meeting. Wouldn't you know it, my talk got moved up to the front.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Mt. St. Helens exploded on Sunday May 18th 1980. I was living in Pullman, WA at the time (about two hundred miles downwind). After meeting ended at noon a friend of mine and I chatted for a minute about the dark cloud on the horizon. By midafternoon the ash fall started and by the time it was over we had 8 tons/acre. Tuesday afternoon we got a call that book study was canceled, and a day or so later another call that meetings were canceled for the rest of the week.

Looking back, that was hilarious. The authorities were restricting ALL travel to strictly necessary business. I heard that the elders had to call crooklyn to get permission to cancel. The other churches in town just closed shop when told to by the mayor, like all other businesses.

• Gilberto
    Gilberto

Someone superglued the lock on the door so no one could get in. Everyone had to go to the bookstudy group to go through the Watchtower study

Also the stand in sometimes went overtime because he hadn't practised - a double whammy!!

What a waste those impromtu talks were. Usually a brother pulled out his favorite talk outline that he had done 10 times in the past year- which made it the third time for us to sit through it. What a pain it was for the kids to sit through the talk after the WT study when they did that.

Not only that but it was always the elder who liked the sound of his own voice, and he would deliver the talk in such a way so as to show how clever he was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit