Did your Kingdom hall ever cancel meetings?

by moshe 33 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I only recall one meeting being cancelled. It was after one of the worst blizzards that hit northern NM. January or February of 1989. It was the first and only time I remember that happening.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Only due to bad weather, and even then, it had to be pretty bad before they would call and cancel. I know people were pretty much taking their lives into their own hands to go to meetings some nights when there was a complete white-out here.

Incidentally, I have cancelled ALL the meetings for the rest of my life.

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled

They cancelled at our hall a couple of times for bad weather. They also cancelled one time when we had all shown up but there was no electricity. We had the electricity go out during the meeting a couple of times and the brothers would conduct with flashlights and people would use their cell phone lights to follow along. What a joke!!!

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled

Incidently when our speaker wouldn't show up, we had the Watchtower study first and one of our elders would give a talk during the second half. They never cancelled for a no-show on the speaker.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Bad weather.

Where I'm at tropical cyclones are the reason.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• blondie
    blondie

I have heard of sendng people to other congregations for meetings under those circumstances.

Meetings were only canceled for severe disaster warnings; blizzards, extreme cold (-15 degrees F or lower), icy roads, tornado warnings.

Blondie

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    We had no other meetings for about 4-5 weeks. It was great- I never heard one complaint about it. Nobody ever said they missed the Theocratic school or Service meeting. I think the brothers enjoyed having the extra time at home, I know I sure did. When the Circuit Overseer found out a few months later what had happened, we heard he read the riot act to the Elders for doing that.

That must've been flippin' SWEET!

I'm afraid I never experienced the joy of a cancelled meeting. But when ashes from the 2003 Cedar Fire were blowing over San Diego, practically no one went to the meetings. Good thing, too, it was dangerous for your health to be out in that weather.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

ALL
    THE
    TIME

During the winter they are just pulling at everything they have got to cancel.

• solo
    solo

my parents local KH has just been demolished and they did a kwik buid thing, 3 congregations share the hall but the whole time they have been hiring halls, schools etc in the locality - none of their meetings have been cancelled

I remember trekking to the KH in the snow one Sunday with my dad, there was about a foot of the stuff which is a lot for here, well no other fool bothered to turn up - until we saw a vision, it was as if moses has appeared from over the hill. Well actually is was the nutter brother who lived out in the rural area way up in the hills. He had hiked 5 miles through snow drifts and had this great big staff in his hand. My goodness we were killing ourselves laughing, still we never bothered with the meeting as it was just a couple of kids and a couple of adults so Moses had to hike home again.

Incidently when our speaker wouldn't show up, we had the Watchtower study first and one of our elders would give a talk during the second half.

I remember this happening and it was hell on earth, when the WT had finished it felt like time to go (horray) but then we had to sit there through the torment of a public talk, evil

• Tristram
    Tristram

Very rarely. Only if there was really bad ice on the roads and the news was reporting how awful things were. At one hall once they cancelled because of a tornado warning, which i thought made sense. But no one told me and i showed up for meeting anyway. The KH was locked. Sometime last year, at a different hall, there was miserable weather with a tornado watch, but they had the meeting anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit