Organizing The Former Jehovah's Witnesses Movement

by The wanderer 33 Replies latest jw friends

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

I'm not a member of www.youtube.com yet, but I do know they get a lot of internet traffic.

For example, anyone wishing to participate could make a VHS or DVD of themselves giving a 5 to 10 minute speech (using their learned extemporeneous MS skills ) to relate their own experience with the watchtower and why they chose to get out. Then, upload it to YOUTUBE using as part of the titile "JWD."

Every one who wants to participate is resposible for the content of their video. Towards the end of each video, we direct viewers who wish to learn more about escaping cult mentality to go to: www.Jehovahs-Witness.com.

YC

• IP_SEC
  • lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

Biggest problem I see is we all have different beliefs nows, some have found true Christanity, others are now atheist, some left because of sexual matters. Not everyone here was a Witness, many have jw family or mates.

• Mulan
    Mulan

The more time that goes by, the more I just don't care.

Organizing anything like this makes me cringe. I will organize a dinner, a camping trip, a few days with my grandchildren, but never again an organized group trying to get someone to listen.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I read alot of negative stuff here about organizing. I tend to agree. Faders are barred.
    The DA and DF are in many differing camps from Atheist and Agnostic to Fundamentalist and
    New age. Most of us just want to get away from organizations.

When I saw Danny Haszards pictures of picketing a KH, I wondered "How effective is that?"
    The people who don't like the witnesses don't bother and the witnesses say he's working
    for Satan. When you leave flyers with JW's, most just throw them away. Sure, a few are
    read, but that's alot of money to reach a few people with a brief message.

Wanderer, you said:

Personally, my own thoughts would be for a documentary or movie to expose
    the Watchtower Society in the same way that the Mormons have received
    recent media exposure.

I don't even know what's happened with the Mormons. Most people don't either.
    There are some good movies about the WTS already. Why reinvent the wheel?

DON'T BE DISCOURAGED. Do what you can or want to do. Just as JW's say they
    were making a difference one Bible WT Literature student at a time, Wanderer- Go
    make a difference. Randy Watters, Ray Franz, David Reed, Danny Haszards, the
    folks at Silentlambs.org and many others- they make as much difference as they are
    able to.

Even faders make a difference. They show a congregation new independent thinking
    and how a person can be happy even missing meetings or skipping recruitment Field Service.
    I know just refusing privileges and never wearing the suit jacket anymore, raising questions with
    family and a close friend, I have made some difference.

It could be that the one person you help out, Wanderer, could be the start of a chain reaction.
    Or you may never get them fully out, but kept someone from getting deeper in Borg faith,
    allowing them to become a fader. Go make a difference, sorry I can't join you right now.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wanderer..If you can pull it off,more power to you..Most of us don`t want to be organized..It is,like herding cats..LOL!!..Most of us are happy on our own..Maybe in a small cell group but nothing large..Sometimes we come together,but only for moments in time..That being the case,your cell group could be the "Movie Makers"..Whose going to play OUTLAW?..Johnny Depp is probably crazy enough to be me..He`s not large enough though..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• willyloman
    willyloman

If, as I discovered when I bailed, the witnesses are so small in number that the world at large views them as irrelevant... just how much smaller and insignificant are we ex-eubs?

Pretty small, I suspect.

My opinion is: Go and explore your own path and be at peace. The organization's problems are systemic and it will collapse from its own weight in time. Meanwhile, a watched pot never boils.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I think the most important aspect of this is getting the information about the jw's cultish ways out to people. It isn't to scare people away from talking to the jw, as they have the opportunity to plant seeds that may help them escape, but educating the people regarding the techniques that the watchtower uses to indoctrinate.

Knowledge is power and with the proper knowledge there is no reason why any householder should fear a conversation with the jw. I am going to offer my services locally to any church that would like to hear from a former member. Some may and some may not. To be effective, though, I think I need to create an outline and develop a talk that can be modified to fit whatever time limit I'm given.

• Mulan
    Mulan

If, as I discovered when I bailed, the witnesses are so small in number that the world at large views them as irrelevant... just how much smaller and insignificant are we ex-eubs?

Pretty small, I suspect.

My opinion is: Go and explore your own path and be at peace. The organization's problems are systemic and it will collapse from its own weight in time. Meanwhile, a watched pot never boils.

Very, very good points!! They are extremely insignificant, and only a danger to fellow members. Their evangelizing is not very successful anymore, so I doubt anyone needs any ammunition against them. People don't talk to them at their doors, not because they are afraid to take them on, but because they are NOT INTERESTED.

Neither am I.

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

Little Toe, GREAT CARTOON!!

I agree with and recognize the validity of all comments on this thread.

With regard to ORGANIZATION. Obviously, we all have a knee-jerk reaction to the word, since for many of us, for the majority of our lives, it was THE WORD (read: hammer over your head). Of course we would react negatively to it. But are we throwing out the baby with the bath water? There are degrees and aspects of organization on many levels that all of us deal with in our lives every day and consider them beneficial. Do you work? Do you go to school? Do you socialize? Do you participate in a democracy? All of these entail organization.

I don't claim to speak for anyone else here, but I believe what it is we all object to about organization is organization that entails authority over others, rule-making and membership with consequences for withdrawal. One thing is for sure, a large, united, wide spread group who agree on a single purpose, will have a far greater effect than individuals on their own. Look at the press coverage the WT gets for its large conventions.

With regard to insignificance of the JWs in the eyes of the public, I agree. IF there is anything we could do in an organized way that might be effective, it should be to assist those still in. There's not much point in trying to have any effect on the general public. They could care less.

With regard to the fact that we have all chosen different paths now, I don't see that as an issue, UNLESS our goal would be to DIRECT them in a particular path. I think that would be a big mistake and make us no better than the WT in some ways. But if our only goal is to show them the EXIT door, what difference does it make what paths each of us has chosen as individuals?

I think the basic question is, IF WE DID become loosely organized with a common goal to help JWs on the inside, WHAT STRATEGY IS THERE THAT WOULD HAVE ANY HOPE OF EVEN LIMITED SUCCESS? That's what I would like to see addressed in this thread. For myself, I would participate in such an effort, but would NOT agree to any authority structure, other than rule of majority, with the option to disengage at any time without consequence. And for those of you who have found a spiritual path post-WT that is satisfying for you, good for you. But proselytizing or promoting any particular faith is a major turn-off to many, including me, but especially to active JWs. That is the fault I find with some of the videos and other publications to date. The expose of the WT in these media is great. But to make part and parcel of such efforts personal testimonies of how Christianity (as an example) has been such a boon to their lives, is distasteful to many here, and smells of vomit to active JWs. In my opinion, efforts to show JWs there IS a way out, should not be accompanied by a recommendation of any particular faith, unless such information is solicited.

For those of us who wanted to participate in any particular campaign, even a one-time effort to get national media attention (which would certainly be noticed by many JWs as was the case with the DateLine program) might be very worthwhile. Perhaps Public Television might be interested in interviewing a panel of X-JWs following the airing of this "documentary" Knocking. Or a large scale demonstration in Brooklyn. The less noise we make, the easier it is for them to sleep, sleep, sleep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit