Circuit Overseer headcount in UK

by besty 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• dozy
    dozy

I think that there is a larger than usual number of "retirees" this time & many COs didn't hear about their new assignment till August , so there was some gnashing of teeth about who would get the "worst" assignments. I understand that there have been a few more posts created , mainly in the "foreign field" which is growing rapidly in the UK.

It is true that there is a dearth of brothers "qualified" to take up new posts , despite an active grooming campaign (all COs are urged to nurture any protegees in their circuit). The foreign language field and Bethel are siphoning off the better candidates and there is a whole generation of younger brothers who aren't interested in taking up any assignment , let alone as CO. The KM schools resemble Saga recruitment meetings. There are very few pioneer sisters who could stomach the idea of going to a different town each week and sleeping in a different bed , so they tend to discourage their husbands.

In answer to the post about whether COs are being culled because of a WTS financial cutback , this certainly isn't the case here. All the expenses , from car hire to accommodation , are met by the local witnesses. Our recently appointed CO isn't eligible for housing benefit , so the local brothers have to pay £5 per year each (up from £1 per year) for his flat , which has caused a few rumblings. There is no subsidy from the Branch.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Dozy:

Outside of Watchtower's usual ultra-biased and inflated figures, where's your evidence for this?:

mainly in the "foreign field" which is growing rapidly in the UK.
    Ian
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

On the subject of the success of the Witnesses' "foreign field", I have not found much discussion of it in the academic literature, apart from a short extract of a paper delivered by Richard Singelenberg at a conference:

In a session on "Recent Developments in Western Movements," Richard Singelenberg of the University of Utrecht (Netherlands) presented a paper on The Changing Face of Jehovah's Witnesses. Singelenberg - who lamented the fact that so very few social scientists are seriously studying the Watchtower movement - took issue with the recent article by Rodney Stark and Laurence Iannaccone in the May 1997 issue of Journal of Contemporary Religion ("Why Jehovah's Witnesses Grow So Rapidly: A Theoretical Application"). He especially questioned their optimistic growth projections for the movement, giving persuasive statistical evidence of a steady decline in Watchtower conversions worldwide (except for Eastern Europe). Singelenberg commented on the consequences of "free-riding" - the trend toward nominal membership (i.e., inactivity or inconsistency among Witnesses in fulfilling their mandate to proselytize). He challenged stereotypes that the Watchtower is winning most of its converts from among people in lower socioeconomic strata and noted that, although the Witnesses put great emphasis on proselytizing among immigrants and refugees, he is unconvinced of their success.

From my very limited observations I would say the success is mixed, and that certainly the results are not equal to the tremendous efforts that some Witnesses are putting into the "foreign field". They seem to be doing better among Chinese people and worse among Indians/Pakistanis. I would suggest that this is because Chinese people often come to the UK alone to study, and Witnesses may therefore catch them at a time when they are a bit isolated and looking for friendship. Indians/Pakistanis on the other hand maintain very strong familial networks here in the UK and it is much harder for the Witnesses to break into that. The exception I know of proves this rule: a young Indian man was baptised while he was living in a rural part of Scotland, alienated from his father whom he had fallen out with. When the man went down to England where more of his relatives lived, I think he stopped attending meetings.

There is no doubt the Witnesses are having some success with their foreign field work, the question is how much, and whether it justifies the effort being expended. I remember at the convention last year it was claimed the number attending foreign language congregations has gone up from something like 1000 to 6000 over the past ten years. A good number of that increase is doubtless British Witnesses who are trying to learn another language. On the other hand, the fact that the number of foreign language speaking Witnesses is increasing also indicates that the static UK publisher figures are somewhat masking a more precipitous decline in English speaking Witnesses than they would at first suggest.

I am convinced that the real value of all the effort being put into the foreign language field from the organisational point of view is that it increases the commitment of British Witnesses who take part in that activity rather than the actual increase in foreign language speaking Witnesses.

Slim

• dozy
    dozy
    Outside of Watchtower's usual ultra-biased and inflated figures

I take it that you don't regard the figures as reliable, then!

I think SBF's figures are broadly accurate and his analysis is spot on. The Chinese assembly in Dudley had 1K in attendance - this from virtually nil five years ago , but I reckon only about 20% were Chinese by race - the rest were publishers "learning the language".

• Dansk
    Dansk

Good post, Slim!

Dozy:

I take it that you don't regard the figures as reliable, then!

Does ANYONE outside the organisation? As an example, just taking the field ministry figures for my own congregation, I knew there were some who were massaging the figures. I've been a member of other congs, too, during my travels and found the situation even worse. So, on those instances alone I KNOW the society's figure's can't be trusted!

Ian

• ex-perfectdaughter
    ex-perfectdaughter

I know of one case here in western NC where a pioneer/elder and his wife were doing the sub CO work for years. Then they were recommended for fulltime CO work. So they sold their beautiful home he resigned from a very lucrative job and prepared to go in the CO work. A few months later they were told they were too old for to be a fulltime CO, he was only in early 50s!!!!!!!!! So they work homeless and jobless, he had to start all over at 50 something CRAZY!!!!

• chiddy
    chiddy

Is it possible that can anyone with inside help give a full list of CO's and DO's in the uk ?And also list all the ones that have been made redundent?Boy that would be interesting ! C'mom Bethel underground pull your fingers out!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

our recent Bethel newbies may be able to compile a recent up to date list

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit