As one of Jehovah's Witnesses...what did you lose?

by The wanderer 18 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    An Informal Discussion

There was a brother who, quite honestly, was very well educated and received
    exceptional grades while in school. His family outside of Jehovah's Witnesses
    encouraged him to become a doctor and they were willing to pay for his college
    tuition. Instead, he opted to become a pioneer and as an occupation decided
    to become an office cleaner.

The Things that were Lost

Many on this discussion board gave up comfortable livelihoods, education and
    careers because of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. The opportunity to
    go to college on a football scholarship was lost, because my beliefs that "we
    are living in the time of the end" kept me busy in "theocratic activities."

Personal Accounts

How about yourself? Can you identify what you lost while being in the "truth"?
    And so, that this discussion does not primarily focus on a downward spiral,
    can you identify some of the positives that you acquired while being out
    of the organization?

This discussion has the possibility to help out numerous individuals such as
    yourself. Can you please give us some insight so that others can learn?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

what I lost?

nothing much, only my life....

• Undecided
    Undecided

My sanity. Except for that I have enjoyed my life both in and out of JW life. How much it would have been different I can't really say. It may have saved my life in the Korean war since I was exempt from service at that time, or maybe it was Vietnam. I think it cost me financially but I'm can't be sure.

Ken P.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I gave up the teaching career I had originall planned to become a part - time office worker and a pioneer.

I gave up my boyfriend because he didn't share my beliefs, and having never met the "right" jw male, gave up the chance of having children.

Now I'm out, I may still have the teaching career, and I'm marrying my bf, another ex jw, next year, but at 47 I am not going to have children.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Gave up 19 of my best years - and have lost my older daughter to the cult.

Ian

• KW13
    KW13

Time, Friends, Opportunity, Some of my Education.

• carla
    carla

I can tell you what my jw has lost- the respect of his wife and children and most relatives. Neighbors and friends all thought 'he was smarter than that' to join this cult. Lost his memory of cherished moments of his pre jw life, they are now unimportant and probably 'sinful' in jwese. Business? still not sure how much influence the elders had there, but much was lost. All relationships of everyone he ever loved, they are not jw and worthy only of polite chit chat. New memories with his family, how can you make new memories if you are never there to make them? His mind, body and soul has been handed over to the publishing company on a silver platter.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Lost a 14-year chunk of my childhood and early adulthood. I made up for the loss of education and freedom to think for myself, but I'll never get that time back.
    A loss that continues to this day is the loss of an open and loving relationship with JW relatives who are still in the cult.

• Mary
    Mary

What did I lose? A chance at going to university when I was younger, I lost my self-esteem and the chance to be normal.

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

I gave up a career in Broadcasting, lost great friends, nearly lost my sense of humour, most of all lost my sanity.

IRONHEAD.

ps Maybe I lost my sanity before becoming a dud.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit