Blood donation question

by moomanchu 24 Replies latest watchtower medical

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Are there any repercussions for a JW if they donate blood.

There is a blood drive at work and I would like to participate.

Here's the catch though there is a JW in my depatment, his dad is on the hospital liason thingy.

moo,

faded but not d'fed

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Are there any repercussions for a JW if they donate blood.

I should think you'd be reproved and, if not repentant, DF'd!

There is a blood drive at work and I would like to participate.

Go ahead if that's how you feel (are you a JW?). You'd be doing your fellow man a great service - possibly saving a life!

A word of warning: I met my wife while giving blood! We're still together after 28 years! So, give blood and catch a mate!

Ian

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I am a faded JW (nonpractising)

Are there any written statements in their publications about this .

• JH
    JH

It's funny that JW's can get a blood test, thus take out a few drops of blood but can't take out more blood for a blood drive.

If a patient only needed 10 drops of blood to be saved, and a routine blood test would be sufficient to save a life, would it be all of a sudden wrong for every JW to get a blood test, knowing it could be used to save a life?

The bible doesn't say you can't take out blood from your body.

• Scully
    Scully

JWs would view it as participating in an activity that promotes blood tranfusions, which are forbidden. Kind of like holding shares in a tobacco company when you know that JWs are not allowed to smoke.

The WTS claims that the Bible contains specific instructions for the disposal of blood that exits the body - and blood transfusion is not the appropriate, Bible approved method.

• blondie
    blondie

I don't participate in the blood drives at work but I do go to one of the regional offices which has a slate of times you can sign up for. I would call the Red Cross in your area and make an appointment to go there to donate. I will confirm that although the WTS now allows JWs to use hemoglobin-based products (made from expired stored blood) they will treat someone who donates blood just like someone who has a blood transfusion.

Blondie

• JH
    JH

Blondie, isn't there a verse that says, how will they hear the good news if no one preaches it....

By the same logic, who can receive hemoglobin-based products, if no one donates blood....

• blondie
    blondie

Exactly!

It also goes along with JWs accepting aid from the Red Cross but saying it is wrong to donate to their organization.

Blondie

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

w77 7/1 p. 410 Insight on the News ***

To some it may appear humanitarian for persons to donate blood that will be used for transfusion purposes. Obviously, at least some individuals believe that there is religious merit and spiritual benefit in doing this. However, when viewed from a Biblical standpoint, such a "sacrifice" is of no benefit to the donor and actually violates the law of God.

Emphasis added by Nic' as well as the comment; "Dumbasses"

• JH
    JH
    " is of no benefit to the donor

It's to my benefit to give blood. I have too much iron in my blood and it does alot of good to donate blood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit