Good News - it is basal cell cancer....

by AK - Jeff 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

To those who have followed my previous thread - here is the latest update [and hopefully the end of the story]

The skin cancer that I had removed two weeks ago was Basal Cell Carcinoma. Though this sounds bad enough - no one wants to have cancer of any sort - this is both the most prevalent and the most treatable of all skin cancer. It is tied directly to UV exposure.

The good news is that basal cell is treated with simple proceedures of removal of the affected tissue in most cases [including mine.] The follow up proceedure was done today -and is considered 95% effective in complete removal of the cancer. The proceedure used was to scrape - then cauterize the epidermal tissues below the area where the lesion was removed two weeks ago. This proceedure is repeated three times in succession in the same sitting. The idea is that any remaining cells are destroyed and scraped away.

Basal Cell Carcinoma is not a cancer that metasticizes. It remains in the local area if at all after treatment. My doctor said 'What you see is what you get with this sort of cancer'. If any returns it will be in the same place - not in my liver or my blood or brain somewhere. The other side of that coin is that those with one lesion often get another later, so it requires a vigilance and awareness of the possibility.

My system metabolizes local anethetics quickly - so I got a few more needles in my face than most to get the area numb. Even then I felt the first cauterization - and we had to do some more numbing agent. But, all in all the proceedure was smooth and quick - the most disturbing part of the whole thing is smelling your own flesh burn - since this was fairly close to my olfactory intake [nose].

I was encouraged to wear a 30 SPF sunscreen from now on - I asked if higher would be better and the doc said that above 30 it is just overkill and does little more to protect the skin anyway. I have never worn SS in my life - though light complected in the winter - I never had problem burning so just never did so. I will now however.

Here is a basic link about this type of Skin cancer and others - I hope that all will be aware of this highly preventable sort of cancer.

http://www.medicinenet.com/skin_cancer/article.htm

Anyway - doc suggested that Wifey take a good scan of my back and unseen areas from time to time to assure that nothing is there I cannot see easily - prob a good idea for most people. I knew of a guy that had Melanoma [the real bad boy of skin cancer and one of the most deadly cancers of all] on his back - by the time the doc was called in it was too late - it had metasticized and he died at 46. I was so glad I did not have that sort - but I will certainly increase my awareness of my skin in general now.

For all that showed support and kindness to me regarding this matter - and a positive energy - I thank you from the bottom of my heart. To think that 3 miles down the road, my old buddies at the KH could care less if I live or die [in fact would prob like me dead - traitor that I am], yet here on this forum so many showed such kindness and concern when only a few actually have ever met me - makes my heart quite happy at the moment to know you.

Jeff

• badboy
    badboy

HOPE YOU HAVE VERY GOOD NEWS SOON!

• done4good
    done4good

Sounds good so far, Jeff!

j

• gumby
    gumby

AK.... Glad things are looking up.

Gumby

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hey Jeff,

I missed out on the previous thread but Im glad you're ok!

• blondie
    blondie

Glad to hear the good news!

Men think they are so tough and don't wear sunscreen.

Blondie

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Thumbs up!

I have a lot of freckles, so I worry about my skin. I do have the doctors look me over once in a while.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

((((Jeff))))) Sounds like you have a handle on it now . Be vigilant with the sunscreen . Hmmmmm sounds like the wife could have some fun with the searching those hard to reach areas .

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

That is really good news.

Josie

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

{ { { { { sighhhhhhhhhh } } } } } } that IS good news...... you're going to have a great nights sleep...glad to hear it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit