Bethel meals

by Alligator Wisdom 43 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I remember hearing all the details of Bethel life while I was growing up and my family tried to get me to plan on a Bethel "career".

The meat time rituals, the "having" to be at the breakfast table on time, the required Monday night WT study, having to work a full shift then having to travel through the city to attend your assigned congregation, sharing a room with someone...I hated all of it. I wanted no part of it. It was tough coming up with excuses to elders and others who kept bugging me why I didn't apply for Bethel.

Reading the experiences of Bethel life, I'm so glad that I saw at least through that part of the cult life and avoided it. I would have been absolutely miserable. But then again, maybe if I had gone it would have pushed me into doubting things quicker and finding my way out completely much quicker. Who knows?

• Mary
    Mary
    What I found odd was their need for table captains, or whatever their title is. I learned that one about a month ago and it still seems to be about the strangest yet useless thing ever.

WTF?? What on earth do you need a "table captain" for?? Are Bethelites so stupid that they need direction on how to eat?

daniel-p said: So people may call all this stuff cultish ritual, but I never, and still don't, see it that way. Bethel is an institution and as such has a lot of tradition. A lot of the traditions are silly and don't make sense, but they are for the most part harmless

Didn't Jesus say: 'you make the word of God invalid because of your traditions?" I think this would be a prime example of that.

• undercover
    undercover
    What on earth do you need a "table captain" for?? Are Bethelites so stupid that they need direction on how to eat?

They were there to make sure the brothers didn't wear colored shirts to the table.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

cutlery lay out was done with a specially made ruler to ensure conformity

i kid you not

• badboy
    badboy

WERE THERE ANY SPECIAL DIETARY NEEDS AT BETHEL?

• undercover
    undercover
    WERE THERE ANY SPECIAL DIETARY NEEDS AT BETHEL?

Good question.

I knew a sister who had wheat allergies. She had to be careful about everything she ate in a restaurant or anywhere where she did not prepare the meal herself.

There are lots of people who have nut allergies; peanuts, pine nuts, etc.

What if you were lactose intolerant? All the dairy that they serve, you'd be in real trouble.

I guess if you had any of those issues you probably wouldn't be allowed to "serve" at Bethel...but visitors might have a hard time. Can they put in for a special meal or do they just nibble on some crackers while everyone else chows down?

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I went as a chaparone with a group of young ones in 2000, and we were invited to have lunch . I hated it . It felt so military like . No one really seemed that friendly just hurried . I would imagine many suffer indigestion .

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Morning worship before being allowed to have that first life-giving swallow of coffee. I am not a morning person. That was not fun or upbuilding.

Nina

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

cutlery lay out was done with a specially made ruler to ensure conformity

i kid you not

O---M---G!

• jason bourne
    jason bourne

I've eaten delicious meals at Mill Hill(Uk) and have delighted in the delicacies at Pioneer schools and MT schools too!!!

Yes...prayer before and after each meal....witnessed lots of funny moments at these meals and a few fights between hubby and wifey!!

FUN!!!!!

Love jason

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit