See J.R.Brown's answer in latest NEWSWEEK re: giving Christmas gifts to JWs

by AndersonsInfo 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has been hypocritcal about this for years.

w59 12/1 p. 736 Questions From Readers ***

?

My husband and I are newly dedicated Witnesses. Our relatives are bitter over our having taken this stand. With the coming of Christmas and the customary giving of gifts, they will be antagonized still more because of our refusal to participate therein. Could you give us any pointers on this matter?—R. M., U. S. A.

As dedicated Christians we are first of all concerned with pleasing Jehovah God and Jesus Christ. Secondly, we have the obligation to witness to our acquaintances, neighbors and relatives as opportunity affords. To the extent that we do this effectively they will get to understand how we feel about various matters. Especially will this be so if we mention where the New World society stands on the matter of holidays, personal, political and religious. We can make it clear that we hail Christ as King but deem it unfitting to stress his babyhood today. This we can do with freeness of speech, for we have the satisfaction of knowing that ours is the Scriptural position.

Should we receive Christmas gifts, then what? It does not seem wise at such time to attack the institution of Christmas. Rather than refuse or return them, it would be better merely to express appreciation by word of mouth or letter or card; and, while wholly ignoring any reference to the holiday season, we could use the occasion to make some reference to our New World hope. It may even be advisable to wait until after the holiday season so as to further disassociate our expression of thanks from the pagan celebration.

Nor need we feel apologetic for not also sending a gift at Christmas time although receiving one. In business relations Christmas merely happens to be a convenient occasion for employers to express appreciation for services rendered by means of a bonus. Persons who give merely because of expecting something in return have the wrong motive, one that the Scriptures condemn. (Luke 6:30-36) However, if we feel the impulse to give a gift we could wait until another appropriate occasion or time, and, incidentally, the same is true regarding birthday giving. But at no time should we feel obligated to give a gift because we received one. Also, it is well to remember that in living up to our dedication vows we are giving far more, to more deserving persons and with better motive, than do any Christmas givers. We are giving them the message that can lead them to life.—Matt. 10:8; John 17:3.

• KennyC
    KennyC

I turned down a $200 Christmas bonus in private with my boss. He got a little pissed and scratched out the "Christmas" part at the bottom of the check, and handed it back.

So long as he understood I was satisfied.

• VM44
    VM44

I shall now translate Stealth's Wingding of a reply. --VM44

"although all their lives they have seen the hypocritical love that fades ever-so-quickly once the credit card bills come rolling in."

• KennyC
    KennyC

Wow, Blondie !

The WT quote was revealing. Was that in 1959? Shucks, I thought they gave up on x-mas long before that !

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    I'm surprised ol' PR Brown didn't tell them to send the contribution to Brooklyn marked "for the worldwide work."

hehehe Nathan - that was funny!

My thought was: How embarrassing for them. The congregation should be helping them on this.

Back in the early 90's I had just taken custody of a 10-year-old relative. When christmas time came around, his social worker asked him what he would like for christmas. It seems that many items are donated to give to the kids in foster homes. My little 10-year-old charge, bless his heart, wanted a new suit. The social worker was stumped. It was the first time anyone requested this. The look on his face was so funny! He told me he had no idea on where to even begin to find one for the kid.

He got him a toy of some sort instead.

Merry Christmas (I can say that now. Soon there will be conviction behind the words.)

-Aude.

• parakeet
    parakeet

J.R. Brown was quoted as saying, "Also, you might consider providing a service for the family rather than giving a gift. That way, you'd show that you care, but your gift might not be seen as a Christmas present."
    It may not be wrapped in Rudolph paper, but providing a service is just as much a gift as a necktie or a sweater. His statement makes it seem like he's conspiring with the "pagans" as to how to give JWs Christmas gifts without their knowing they're Christmas gifts.
    And Brown concedes that giving a Christmas gift or providing a service is done to "show that you care," which contradicts the usual WT stance that Christmas celebrators give gifts in the "selfish" expectation they will receive them in return.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

The company I used to work for used to give a Xmas ham to me every year .......and I TOOK it! I'm such aweak and bad wozadummy ,no wonder god is not blessing me.

• AndersonsInfo
  • Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings VM44,

:Do JWs also turn down and refuse to accept any Christmas bonuses they are offered at work?

Not sure if that question was rhetorical....But here's my experience with dub employees. I've had almighty "elders" whom I've employed. They've waited in earnest for their Xmas bonus. Drooling if you will, like a salivating dog waiting for a milk-bone. As a matter of fact, due to my stupidity in giving them one, they've expected it. Many surreptitiously celebrate Xmas. As Garybuss has said about some of their teachings. Those are JW teachings but not practiced

Dismembered

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

as someone else said, if this was all just a PR thing, they messed up by appear to not take care of their own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit