See J.R.Brown's answer in latest NEWSWEEK re: giving Christmas gifts to JWs

by AndersonsInfo 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

See NEWSWEEK SEPTEMBER 4, 2006, Page 12, "With Beliefnet.com"
    Fourth question:
    Sub-forSanta, a nonprofit organization I work with, donates gifts to families in need every December. This year we're "adopting" a Jehovah's Witness family. I know Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate holidays, but is it OK to wrap the gifts we purchased in a nonholiday wrapping paper?
    The problem here is not the wrapping paper but the day prompting the gift, since Jehovah's Witnesses consider Christmas to be a pagan holiday. J. R. BROWN AT THE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES OFFICE OF PUBLIC INFORMATION SUGGESTS not doing anything the week of Christmas itself. Also, you might consider providing a service for the family rather than giving a gift. That way, you'd show that you care, but your gift might not be seen as a Christmas present.
    Any comments respecting J. R. Brown's suggestion?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I don't have any problem with what JR Brownnose said...I'm just kinda curious why this dub family agreed to be sponsored by Sub-for-Santa. I wonder if the family suggested non-holiday wrapping paper...?

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    I'm just kinda curious why this dub family agreed to be sponsored by Sub-for-Santa

They adopt needy families and we all know how loving the organization is to its needy members. Is it any wonder the family seized on any chance to be provided for? I'm merely surprised they didn't find a way to hide it better. Unless they were actually slyly encouraged to do it and make sure Newsweek was tipped off so JRR Brown could get his quote in.

• garybuss
    garybuss

"not doing anything the week of Christmas itself"I think that's gonna be a good match for what J.R. does all year.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    They adopt needy families and we all know how loving the organization is to its needy members. Is it any wonder the family seized on any chance to be provided for? I'm merely surprised they didn't find a way to hide it better. Unless they were actually slyly encouraged to do it and make sure Newsweek was tipped off so JRR Brown could get his quote in.

Maybe the family themselves decided to tip off Newsweek. I don't think they could let other people in on their plan. But yeah, I do agree that I guess you would do anything to provide some fun times for your kids, if you were poor...

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    Jehovah's Witnesses consider Christmas to be a pagan holiday.

i bet that gives all the christians that read newsweek a warm fuzzy feeling...geeze

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm surprised ol' PR Brown didn't tell them to send the contribution to Brooklyn marked "for the worldwide work."

A witness family in need, and the HQ ain't happy until they stick their dorks into it and fook it up.

• KennyC
    KennyC

Personally, I think that he has some great advice !

Most of you people are simply trying to trick JW's into violating their religious conscience, although all their lives they have seen the hypocritical love that fades ever-so-quickly once the credit card bills come rolling in.

I am on his side on this one, so kiss my butt if you don't like it. I lost a perfectly good grandfather to an overbearing Christmas step-grandma at 9 years old.

• Stealth
    Stealth

although all their lives they have seen the hypocritical love that fades ever-so-quickly once the credit card bills come rolling in.

• VM44
    VM44

Do JWs also turn down and refuse to accept any Christmas bonuses they are offered at work? --VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit