Questions for those born or raised in the truth

by The wanderer 44 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

For those of you who were raised in the organization could

you provide some insight as to what the life of one of

Jehovah's Witnesses was like having been born into it?

What was it like not participating in sports, holidays and

school activities in general?

It SUCKED! There was nothing good about that.

To this day I look in disdain at those adults who mislead me. I can not get close to my mother or have good feelings toward her, even thought she has apologized. I forgive her.

I have been out of the borg since 83, But I still have my bad days and moments.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

I have never been a very social child at school, so I can't say I missed sports and dances and all that.

However, I have always been an extremely artistic person, and what made me the most angry as a kid was not to be allowed to make Holiday and seasonal crafts, decorating Chritmas trees and making Halloween costumes and Easter eggs. I knew it was bad and naughty, and I would have felt very wrong if I had done it, but oh, I found them so very beautiful. I made a point of going to one of my friends who always had this huge, ornated tree around christmas time, and I would look at it, and obssess about it. I would also secretly help her to dress up for Halloween. These things are so removed from your reality as a JW kid, they almost seem magic. Needless to say I make up for lost time now!

How did I feel when I discovered the truth? Well, I had just assumed it to be alrigth for all my teenage years. Followed out of routine and obligation like a good little girl, really, got baptized without really thinking it trough. So it wasn't really a shock, or a blow when I started to think out of the box. It was actually a very positive and liberating experience. Very exciting, like seeing doors open everywhere around. Walls falling, silly ideas beeing destroyed, a breath of fresh air. I was lucky to experience it at a young age, maybe it wouldn't have been the same if I had waste more time, maybe there would have been more biterness, but now I just felt like I could see all those opportunity opening up, my whole life ahead of me without all the restrictions of my previous life.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Some of your experiences make me SO ANGRY at this org;

But mostly they make me SO SAD.

But hearing that you survived and are OUT gives me HOPE for my family.

Thank you to everyone who shares their JW experiences here.

AJ

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I agree primarily w/ Primitive Dave. It was always explained to me why I was or was not doing something. I have always been a strong personality so I never was picked on for being a JW and always had a ton of friends both w/i the religion and out of the religion as my mother also had "worldly" friends. Her best friend growing up was not a JW and they still are friends to this day.

My mother was raised a JW, so I think that gave her insight into what it was like to not participate in things. Whenever there was some kind of huge holiday thing going on in school, I was taken out of school and my mother would take me to the City to go to the theater. Growing up, I loved this because I saw all the shows that were playing in the City and most of my friends had not.

I took dance for years, so I never felt like I could not participate in activities. We had recitals and I always participated. When I look back at the pictures it creeps me out because I think of JB Ramsey, little girls all glammed up and dancing around (but that is for another thread).

I played in little league (which I sucked at). I played instruments (stringed ... sucked at; wind .... I was great at and played until I graduated high school). I was enrolled in everything my mother could think of. Which actually I yell at her today about because it was not so much what I wanted but what she wanted because she wanted me to have everything she did not have. There were some days that I just wanted to sleep in and do nothing.

My mother would have seasonal parties for me and my friends. When the elders would make a stink, she would say give me a scripture prohibiting it and when they could not come up with one, she would say to them that it was their personal opinion and she did not have to listen to it. (Now do you see where my get my strong personality from ) We had these parties for YEARS, until I started driving and then the parties stopped because my friends and I started doing other things.

I do not regret my childhood at all. I look back in fondness.

What made me leave was when I started seeing the harshness and lack of love amongst JWs. In particular the way elders treated those w/ serious problems. I got tired of being told that no matter what I did not was not enough. I got tired of being told that I was a second class citizen because I am a women. I got tired of the black and white mentality.

I do not begrudge any JW what they believe. Just the same as I do not begrudge any religion and what they teach. I try to respect everyone regardless of whether I agree w/ their religious philosophy. To me being raised a JW is a part of my life the same as if some tells me they were raised Amish or Muslim. I may not agree w/ the religion, but you gotta respect someone and where they came from and what they had to do to get where they are now.

• Gregor
    Gregor

By my count this is the third time out of a small number of topics started by Wanderer that have referred to the Watctower Society as the "Truth". Either he is having a private joke on us or he is very, very slow to realize how inane it is.

Which is it Wanderer?

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    The witness girls hated me. I was never part of thier cliques. I was also social retard. It took a few years for me to start functioning like a normal person

That is so exactly how I felt growing up liquidsky. I wonder were both your parents in the truth? I always thought I never fit in with them because my dad was inactive and that's why they treated me different. I still feel socially retarded.

The residue of negative emotions and phobias that are left over are incredible. It is beyond words.

I remember when I used to feel unsettled walking down the halloween aisle. Now I just marvel at how lovely everything is. The phobias are strange. Sometimes I have to stop and think where the heck did this come from?

I have never been a very social child at school, so I can't say I missed sports and dances and all that.

I always wondered if being shy wasn't a defense mechanism that some of us adapted because we got picked on less for it. Are you by any chance petite or small in sature Lilycurly? It seems those that developed the strong personalities were the ones most able to stick up for themselves while everyone else had to find another way.

These things are so removed from your reality as a JW kid, they almost seem magic.

I think that is the appeal paganism had for me when I first left. The idea magic can be real. I'm afraid the supernatural is a bit too out there for me I just read fantasy and play video games now. =D

When the elders make a stink, she would say give me a scripture prohibiting it and when they could not come up with one, she would say to them that it was their personal opinion and she did not have to listen to it.
    Your mom is awesome looking_glass. I admit I'm jealous of JW kids that had parents like you growing up. I seem to have been raised with quite a lot of strictness. Maybe she was afraid I'd leave like my father if she wasn't strict with me, but if anything it had the opposite effect.
  • Mysterious
    Mysterious

By my count this is the third time out of a small number of topics started by Wanderer that have referred to the Watctower Society as the "Truth". Either he is having a private joke on us or he is very, very slow to realize how inane it is.

Inane or not that's what we called it. Shrug, we all know what he means buzzword or not.

• grey matters
    grey matters

Mysterious,

Wow. You really nailed it. I read the first couple of replies and thought, What? It didn't suck? I thought it did! Of course, we are all different, so the experience affects us differently. That having been said. There is a lot of feeling in your post. I relate strongly to those feelings. I never felt superior to the kids around me. I felt like an idiot.

The thing that might be unusual about my experience is that I have had some wild swings here. Growing up, I hated it. We had one kid my age in our congo, and he didn't really take it seriously either. I had an aunt (non dub) that was really close to my age. So I hung out with her and her friends. Whether my parents realized it or not, most of my close friends were worldly. I think they mostly just felt sorry for me. I don't think I pondered "The issue of Universal Sovereignty" as a kid, but I thought the whole religion was a bunch of garbage, and was embarrased to be stuck in it.

My parents were very restrictive, and I was stubborn and rebellious. I almost moved out at 17. My step dad of course thought that was a bad idea, and in retrospect I agree with him. But I felt I couldn't take it anymore. He made a deal that he would ease up on the restrictions if I agreed to stay until I was 18. I did, but at 18 I was out and never went back.

The weird thing about it is that it was a couple of years after I moved out that I got serious about the religion. The relationship between my step dad and I improved dramatically. For the first time, I felt accepted by him. I thought maybe that I had not given the religion a fair shot. I liked a lot of the things the religion supposedly stood for, like helping our neighbors. Anyway, I dove in head first and ended up thouroughly involved in the religion througout my twenties.

In the end, I decided I was right the first time. During my fade, I remember feeling really detached. They had me run the sound system. I remember sitting there, all the way in the back and all by myself, feeling like I was watching the meeting through a glass window. It took awhile to go from feeling that some in the the organization had problems to the whole organization had problems to the basis for the religion wasn't true at all. That was a shock. I had the same feelings about boundries mentioned by Mysterious and JWFacts. The way I explain it, the belief structure wass so rigid and inflexible that when it was really stressed, it couldn't bend or even crack. It just shattered. And there I was trying to figure out what the boundries should be, with no guidence at all. I rejected the guidence I had received to that point, because I couldn't trust the org anymore. And I didn't feel I could turn to another religion, as I had been taught for so long that all religions besides this one were useless. It was a real struggle not to just go to the opposite extreme, as I have seen some others do - what I call the pendulum effect. There can be so much anger when pushing away from this religion that you just want to break every rule they pushed at you. That is not a good idea.

I have the feeling of detachment that I mentioned earlier when I think about my past in the org. I was such a different person then that it doesn't feel like it was me. It feels like I am reading it out of a book.

• Quentin
    Quentin
    Re-evaluate your perceptions of God, religion and the meaning of life...jw facts

For me that was the last big hurdle. Growing up I had a lot of freedom, as long as it didn't interfere with meetings or field service. Most of my friends were jw with some worldlies thrown in, whom I associated with openly. Lack of love and kindness drove me away. Much later came the evaluations. Now I stand in oposition to jehovah's witnesses.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Q.: What was it like not participating in sports, holidays and school activities in general?

A.: It was a fookin' spiritual picnic! We were so blessed for our determined stand on the burning issue of Universal Sovreignty!

Geez, dude, what do you think it was like?

It was ambulatory solitary confinement!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit